Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

getting 4.10 gears...do I need to do TSB for rear whine / clutch pack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:15 PM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

Default getting 4.10 gears...do I need to do TSB for rear whine / clutch pack?

Excuse my ignorance, but if I'm getting 4.10 gears, do I still need to do the TSB for rear whine / clutch pack, or is it redundant?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Nixtang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: getting 4.10 gears...do I need to do TSB for rear whine / clutch pack?

I had mine replaced just before I had the gears installed. If you don't, you'll have to have your installer replace them at your own cost.

Nick
Old 10-24-2006, 01:54 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: getting 4.10 gears...do I need to do TSB for rear whine / clutch pack?

They have to take the rear end apart for that TSB don't they???

Well if they do....you could talk to the service writer or manager and see if since they already have to have it apart if you buy the FRPP 4.10s from them if they will just slap them in there for you for either just a little extra, or for nothing....that is what I would try to do...sometimes if you can get the right dealership, right guy, and on the right day....you can get yourself one hell of a deal....
Old 10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

Be careful asking a dealer about the gears though. Ford is crunching numbers so bad that the dealer I used to take my car to for stuff like that told me they will not in any way shape or form install gears (Ford or not) unless they are factory spec while the car is under warranty. Basically most dealers are saying if you have a 3:55 gear they will only reinstall a 3:55 gear anything else and you are on your own. Another thing to be careful of is what happened to a friend of mine awhile back, a dealer installed the 4:10 gears like he asked no problems, but a couple weeks later he took it back for a transmission TSB and discovered that the dealer voided the warranty on his driveline. They used the gears as the reason. They told him that the higher gearing caused extra wear and tear...blah, blah, blah. So I would just be careful when it comes to taking anything like that to a dealer. Just my .02. It might just be easier to have Ford do the TSB repair and then pay for the gear swap through someone else. I know that would suck, but it better than voiding your warranty.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
red_fire_GT

When I took my car in to have the clutch pack replaced I went to a dealer I normally don't use and they were not willing to do the work under warranty because I told them the gears had been replaced. I went to my regular dealer and talked with the service advisor I usually deal with and they did the work under warranty. If you have a good dealer in your area nad have a good relationship with them they will often work with you within reason. If I have any mre clutch pack problems I am just going to replace the differential with a Truetrac http://www.moserengineering.com/Page.../truetrac.html and the dealer won't ever need to peak inside the cover again.

Moser also sells a pretty sweet cover and stud kit http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...e-perform.html to bolster the rear as well.

My best advice is to get a quality set of gears and have them set up by a shop with a lot of experience working on rear ends. A bad set of gears or a bad set up will have you hating yourself because you will have to do it again.[:@]
Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 PM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

Thanks all for the responses!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I was just at the dealer today as I changed gears a few months ago and just ran into the TSB issue this week and they would not fix it under warranty. I have not had good experience with this dealer but thought I would share the info.