Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Tuner In Houston

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Tuner In Houston

ORIGINAL: wingman75
I keep hearing "dyno day" what exactly is that and what do they do? I assume you have to pay, but is it at a reduced rate? Is it just for a club or special group of people?
Actually it could be all of the above.
Clubs can organize them and set it up with a local shop. Sometimes shops will do the organizing. But for the most part, it is clubs. Shops are usually not real "keen" to the idea because they still have their normal work flow to take care of and if XYZ Car Club has reserved the dyno for the day it backs up the shop's normal workload.

As for the rate, those vary quite a bit too. Most of the time it is throw your car up on the dyno and make a couple of pulls just to show what you have, and usually around 50 bucks or so. But sometimes you will have a shop sponsored event such as the one Joe had going on where they had a guest tuner ( in that case it was Jerry from SCT ) come in and tune cars. The price usually isn't cheap.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:25 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Thanks hawgman.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Trapeze
1st Gear Member

I'm also interested in a Local shop in SW Houston area that does Supercharger Installations
Old 12-28-2006, 05:26 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

go talk to pat at PSI Motorsports. He is down in webster off of Nasa Rd.1 and Hwy 3. He will do just about anything to a mustang or lightning...and he will get it down correctly and at a good price
Old 12-29-2006, 01:17 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Trapeze

I'm also interested in a Local shop in SW Houston area that does Supercharger Installations
I am not trying to nuthug for DynoJoe or anything, but give him a call. After about 5 minutes you will probably feel like you have known him for years. He is a hell of a nice guy, and they have some pretty impressive cars running out of their shop. Both turbo and supercharged S197s. Tell him I said for you to call him.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:31 AM
watsonaka
1st Gear Member

dynoJoe is a hell of a nice guy. He does sell some parts cheap. I have been to his place, and it is nothing fancy. I believe he actually does his work at another site, but don't quote me on that. He did tell me he does his dyno's elsewhere, and I can tell you he does not have a dyno at his shop. Or at least as of a month or so ago he did not. Can't speak to his repair skills, but I can tell you he has built a few very badass Supercharged cars. He has a very good reputation.

I have heard terrific things about Strictly Performance. The guys on the modular forum highly approve on Strictly. Strictly gave me a great quote on a gear install. As soon as I get my clutch pack tsb issue sorted out I suspect I will let them do the gear install.

I have heard good things about slater's.

A lot of people rave about Patrick at PSI in Webster. I spoke to him and he's a good communicator. I have heard that he is one hell of a tuner. He fixed a SC job that one of the others had botched, and the guy he fixed it for swears he is the absolute best. I'm not going to say who botched the job, cos honestly I don't recall. But I know it was Not PSI, Strictly or Joe. Good luck whoever you go with and give us some feedback.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:35 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Joe the owner of DynoJoe's is a straight shooter and one hell of a nice guy. I have purchased a few things from him and he does everything it takes to make you happy.

He actually is working on the wicked Turbo stang. They are shooting for a 1000hp with the built block they are having built.
You will never be sorry about going with dynojoe