Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual vs. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:32 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Manual vs. Automatic

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I would make my decision based on what you want to do with the car.

If you want to drag race a lot, I would buy the Auto. The autos have a lot of advantages on the strip: They shift faster than any person can and they shift reliably with no need to worry about a missed shift. They are also extremely consistent. For these reasons all serious drag racers run autos. Keep in mind that with a tuner all the shifting paramaters can be adjusted the way you want them.

If you want to road race, autoX, or just have fun all around, Manual all the way! When I first bought my car I was very rusty on driving a manual. My drive home from the dealership was pretty funny! But you'll get it down quick and start having some serious fun. I love the manual and I wouldn't have it any other way.
^^^^^^ The only sensable reply in the entire thread^^^^^^
Old 01-26-2007, 01:20 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

manual, makes more sense to me.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:03 AM
mdcorny

That's why they have test drives. I was sold on the manual, after I drove them both.

Go drive the auto, then try the manual, I think you will get your answer.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:50 AM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

I vote for the manual because it's more fun to drive. You can vary your launch rpm with a manual. The manual should have less parasitic loss.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:57 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

manual FTW. especially when this car has such a fantastic shifter stock. its soooo much fun to rip through the gears, heel toe downshifts, all that jazz.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 AM
smokerings

you'll get plenty of responses both ways...as mentioned, it's personal preference

we bought auto for various reasons, and guess what? it's still fun and it's still fast
Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I wouldnt make power an issue because you can make a auto just as fast and faster than a manual ... but its what you wnat ... what you prefer driving.. youll have more control over the car with a manual but if you just want to relax go auto.

I have an auto and although the shifter sucks ... i can still do a lot of spirited driving when i want to then when i want to relax i can just chill but i also drive in a lot of stop and go traffic and have driven autos my entire life. Some people think your less of a man for not having a stick but its personal preference esp with a mustang. If it was a honda civic youd have to get a manual to get the full rice burner power but with the new 5speed auto transmission it isnt the same auto thats coming from your grandmas towncar its made to do what it does.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:50 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Personal preference of course, I went auto.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I don't see how you can say this when even the magazines claim faster times with the manual.

ORIGINAL: Johnmichael

Personal preference prevails. However, stock for stock, the autos are running faster in the 1/4.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
chirostang
2nd Gear Member

I must have test drove 3 manuals and 3 autos and still had a hard time deciding. I like draving my manual 60% of the time, hate it 20% of the time and don't care either way the other 20%. It does suck in heavier traffic.

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Automatic