Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual vs. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 05:31 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual vs. Automatic

OK I am sorry for throwing another wrench in the mix but here are a few additional options on the horizon.

First B&M will at some point (when they get off their @ss) release the sequential shifter for the Automatic transmission which will give you the autostick capabilities.

Next if you get a Manual several reputable companies are selling modified T56 6 speed transmission kits for the car, which is pretty awesome.

And now for those who have the deep pockets, SHM has a Sequential Manual 6 Speed transmission kit, with a hydrolic clutch, this is one of the best and as such most expensive ways to go. There is no possibility of missing a shift, shifting is remarkably faster and smoother then the other Manual options and it is good for both street and strip use. SMG style transmissions are becoming more and more common on racing circuits because of this fact. The catch, prepare to drop $12,000 - $15,000 for this puppy. If you are seriously looking for the best thought, there is no other way in all th research I have done. That said, I am buying one hopefully as a birthday gift to me next Oct.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

For me, the choice was obvious....automatic! Why? Because I have had plenty of manual trans vehicles over the years and I am tired of rowing through traffic as a daily driver (which the car will be). Also, I know you can hook up a nice remote start to an auto equipped vehicle, not sure if you can a manual. Once you have had a nice two-way remote start, you really don't want to be without one again...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
delstang
1st Gear Member

I agree. My last mustang was a manual and it is fun to shift but in traffic it is a pain in a--. I just had a tune put in mine and while they installed the tune they did a sweet job tuning the tranny. It shifts real quick without being harsh.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

Same here my last Mustang was a 96 GT and in traffic it was a pain in the butt. When I drove the auto 06 I was hooked it is fast and in the city it is easy to drive. Now if I was twenty years younger I would of gone with a stick.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 AM
FLA Dreadhead
2nd Gear Member

Automatic here!
But the catch is i dont kno how to drive a stick....lol
and i disagree when peoepl say manuals are more bcuz i have a hell of a time in my car....
but then again ive never driven a stick
Old 02-23-2007, 03:34 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Ricky

ORIGINAL: Johnmichael

Personal preference prevails. However, stock for stock, the autos are running faster in the 1/4.
Thats the funniest thing I heard all day My car stock went 13.40's at 102/103 and my buddys auto runs 13.80's to 13.90's at 101. Both bone stock my manual vrs his auto, both coupes and 2005 models, same options.
+1

stock vs. stock the manual is faster (unless the driver doesn't know how to shift).
Old 02-25-2007, 12:17 AM
extuner

I love the auto especially with a Bama tune!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Still an everyday driver, i cant decide what i want. ill be in rush hour everyday, but id stil want the fun. Id love my auto now, and a manual just seems like so much more work, and more fun. But i guess im just an auto kind of guy. -Jon
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

I got the Auto bc I work 8 miles away from my house and it takes me 45 mins to get there. Thats what you get for living in one of the 5 boroughs of NY. Love the AT though, and i havnt even tuned it yet.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 PM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FLA Dreadhead

Automatic here!
But the catch is i dont kno how to drive a stick....lol
and i disagree when peoepl say manuals are more bcuz i have a hell of a time in my car....
but then again ive never driven a stick
stick all the way

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Automatic