Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Tune then CAI???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 AM
HDmstng
1st Gear Member

Default Tune then CAI???

It seems like everyone swears by a CAI and tune, especially for auto's (which I have), but has anyone done the tune first followed by the CAI? How much of the "wow" factor comes from the changing of the shift points and throttle lag vs that plus the extra horsepower delivered by the CAI?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Tune then CAI???

I did try the tune first, it was stock diablo tune and didnt feel much difference. Then went to canned C&L CAI and diablo tune. Noticed more response and pickup. Switched to B amachips tune and will never go back.....you are wasting money by using any kind of canned tune. Brenspeed and B ama are a must for anyone who is looking at CAI and tune or even just tune. The CAI will add a good deal. The tune is worth alot of the gains so you can just get that if you prefer.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I used a canned 93 octane SCT via the Strategy Flash with the stock intake first. The change wasn't overly dramatic, but very noticable, especially since the annoying throttle lag was gone. The stock SCT tunes are probably pretty conservative compared to other tuners.

I thought the tune did more than the intake I added later, but I'm sure the auto has more throttle lag than the manual. The intake was a nice upgrade, too, don't get me wrong.

The Strategy Flash (and possibly the Diablo?) already includes tunes for a few different intakes, so I was able to add one later without getting an updated tune.

If I had purchased a semi-custom tune or a dyno tune instead of the Strategy Flash, then I would do the intake first to avoid buying an updated tune in the future.

However, if I were doing my setup again, I would have added my gears after the getting the 93 octane tune. Then, I would have gotten an intake.

Also, I would have gotten my axle backs after the gears. The stingers are absolutely perfect with new gears. Fantastic sound. The vehicle is now seldom in the 1800 - 2000 rpm drone range.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You have got me slightly lost....get the CAI and custom tune at the same time....they are sold as a package. If you get a dyno tune later you still have to have the tuner. You will also need the tuner for gears, larger tires etc. You will spend more money doing individually.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:44 AM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

I started with just the canned Diablosport tune for a long time, then got a Ba-machips tune then got the CAI with a B-chips tune. It was noticeable enough with just the tune and if you can't afford both right away getting a tuner first then following up with the CAI is a great way to do things. (Even if its just a canned tune my Diablosport tune got rid of quite a bit of the throttle lag).

Edit: and yes the Diablosport Predator comes with tunes from C&L, JLT and a couple others already preloaded. And to howarmat, it'd be great if all of us were completely fiscally responsible and capable of saving to buy everything at once, but some of us want stuff NOW NOW NOW and that means (in my case anyway) getting the tuner then 6 months later getting the intake.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:09 AM
HDmstng
1st Gear Member

I hadn't realized some of the tuners already come preloaded with tunes. I assumed they could only hold 3 tunes in total.

The vast majority of the time, a tune is done with the installation of the CAI, so two changes have been made at the same time. Therefore it's hard to tell which one of the two changes had the most effect. It sounds like a tune and CAI is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I've decided to stay stock for at least the first 12k miles before adding the CAI and tune, only 7300 miles to go!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 AM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

ordered my cai+tune today and my cars at 768miles
Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Enjoy!