Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

cam timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 PM
06_gt
1st Gear Member

Default cam timing

Ok so I was wondering if anyone here could explain how to install cams and make sure they are in the correct possition with the cam gear? I have heard that the timing chains would have one link that is shinny compared to the rest. I also noticed when i was swaping valve covers there are teal colored or green dots on the outside of the cam gear. If anyone knows where the two dots need to be with the shinny link. I could understang that the two dots should be to the outsides of the link. Any help will be great. Thanks alot
Old 04-11-2007, 12:46 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: cam timing

Actually it is no big deal. I have done two sets of 3 valve cams and springs. Once you wedge the chains and follow the cam change procedures, you are not getting the chains out of time. The cams only fit into the sprocket 1 way. Thw only time it will be an issue is if you do not wedge the tensioners and the chains slip on the gear.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 AM
06_gt
1st Gear Member

So as longs as you keep the chain and the cam gear in the same place the cam will only go in one way? How do you recommend wedging the chain?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:05 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

There is a special tool that is used along with the 3 valve specific spring tool. They are made for Ford by OTC tools. You can get them cheaper directly from OTC.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I can do this in my sleep. *Stupid question*

The sprocket will only go on the cam one way because there is a key way. The dot on the replacement sprocket will not align with anything because the dots only line up with the chain once every 58 revolutions. Like mentioned above,there is a wedge tool that jambs the chain into theguides (holding it in place) whileyou remove the cam and carefully lift the back (bringing the front end down) so that the chain can betaken off the sprocket.
Keep in mind you have to remove the followers (rocker arms) off the valves that are partially open. This allows you to remove the cam caps without having the valvesprings push back at you.
You need a few special tools, some basic instructions and basic mechanic's tools. A lot of rags, a few cans of brake clean and a torque wrench.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

In hindsight, maybe that wasn't a stupid question...... You should have a funky looking cam sprocket with I think five little fingers on the front. There should be an L and an R , both with little arrows........... Did your cams come with new sprockets or something?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
06_gt
1st Gear Member

No they didnt come with new ones. I have a highly qualified mechanic that will be doing the install. I am asking just in case i ever need to do another and just for the know how. Why was this such a stupid question? I have not done a cam swap on this car and didnt pay that much attention when i had the stock valve covers off. (thats my bad) although i was not planin on doing a cam swap this soon. But when you budget allows tare it down.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

No, dude. LOL, I didn't mean your question was stupid.....the one I edited out of my first post was stupid. I just put the little * in there in case someone had already read my stupid question. I wouldn't insult someone out of the blue like that......but I completely understand how I could have come off.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:26 PM
06_gt
1st Gear Member

Oh i see... OK thats cool bro it was just a misunderstanding. Well the cams will be getting put in tonight so i will just add on here when they are in and let everyone know how things worked out. thanks for the help