Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cam swap tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:10 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Default Cam swap tools

I've been reading on here that there is several specialized tools required to swap the cams in the 3V, one for locking the chain and another for removing the springs and possibly more. Does anyone have a list with part numbers of what tools are required or better yet, pictures? I figure if I don't use them again I can always put them up on Ebay. I'd even be willing to rent them from someone that has them. I'm planning on putting in the Comp Stage 3 with springs after gears and headers. After reading some of the posts I think I may just do this myself along with installing long tubes and X pipe. I'm still not sure I want to try the gear swap myself though, especially since I don't have a press.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:47 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cam swap tools

You will need the spring tool and the chain tensioner wedge. They are Ford tools, but I got then from OTC tools who actually supplies them to Ford. If you go to the OTC tools website and call them, they have them available, but they are too new to be on the website. I have done a couple of sets of cams and springs. If you do not have extensive experience, I woiuld not suggest doing them yourself as they are a major PITA, specifically the springs. I have all of the instruction that are directly from the Ford tech website (not available to the public). If you want to, p.m. me a fax number and I will fax them to you Monday when I am at work. There is 20 pages.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

You will need the spring tool and the chain tensioner wedge. They are Ford tools, but I got then from OTC tools who actually supplies them to Ford. If you go to the OTC tools website and call them, they have them available, but they are too new to be on the website. I have done a couple of sets of cams and springs. If you do not have extensive experience, I woiuld not suggest doing them yourself as they are a major PITA, specifically the springs. I have all of the instruction that are directly from the Ford tech website (not available to the public). If you want to, p.m. me a fax number and I will fax them to you Monday when I am at work. There is 20 pages.
Damn, I could use those instructions too, but don't have access to a fax machine--the one at work is monitored by the "no personal use police". Is there a free fax-to-email service available? Or I could pay you to make a copy and send my the USPS? Anything works for me--I have the stage 3 cams, springs and retainers sitting on my shelf...

John
Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

P.M. me your address and I will send you a set as well. Dirtydeed is going to PDF them when he gets his set and then send me the file. I just have not had time to scan 20 pages in and the Ford tech site is super secure, so you can't copy and paste them.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

I would also be interested in a set of those. I can scan them at work and make them into a PDF to email to anyone.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

No problem Hotty. PM your address for them to come to.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

I'm more than willing to send a copy of the PDF once I get it done to anyone that wants it.

Just thought I'd let yall know.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:03 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

If anyone wants a pdf copy, PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send a set.