Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Max Power of an N/A 3V 4.6l?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:38 PM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Max Power of an N/A 3V 4.6l?

ORIGINAL: bascho

Getting 375rwhp is not that hard n/a.......it's just hard when you're talking about bolt-ons You can easily make that power if you rebuild the engine for more displacement and higher compression. The stock 4.6 3V's compression is not very high to allow us to use 87 octane fuel.

A 5.0L stroker block with pistons set-up for 11:1 compression and those same stage II heads and cams will definitely get you to your goal of over 375rwhp.
A stock 3v is supposed to use 87 octane, and with just an SCT tune you can run 91 or 93 just fine.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM
MasterOfEvil

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Way more power in forced induction, you cant reach that level naturally aspirated.
What kind of racing?
Circle Track?
Road courses like Limerock and Watkins Glen, i'm more into that, so i am focusing more on the cars suspension than anything. I was looking, and i can get a Procharger w/ Intercooler for $4200, which is much cheaper than i anticipated. If i did that, push about 425-450RWHP, would that be putting to much stress on the motor? My main concern with a S/C is that it will overheat while racing, but will a centrifugal w/ intercooler do that? It seems like a good deal, but i am still interested in the N/A build up.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:47 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

You should be fine with that setup. The twin screws have more heat soak because they sit on top of the motor! Centifugal should have less heat soak, should work well for that application.
Thos power levels are fine with this engine. I have 450+ RWHP and mine runs great and have pushed it hard.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:04 PM
MasterOfEvil

I am starting to think this Procharger would be a better idea than N/A, since 425-450RWHP is about perfect for road-courses in my opinion, any more is not going to be very helpful. Since it is so cheap (compared to other blowers) it would give me more money for the suspension. So an intercooled centrifugal should be fine then i guess heat-wise.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:48 PM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MasterOfEvil

I am starting to think this Procharger would be a better idea than N/A, since 425-450RWHP is about perfect for road-courses in my opinion, any more is not going to be very helpful. Since it is so cheap (compared to other blowers) it would give me more money for the suspension. So an intercooled centrifugal should be fine then i guess heat-wise.
So this is for auto-x? I would a S/C is almost a must for when you race road courses. That and thousands of dollars sunk into the suspension.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:16 PM
MasterOfEvil

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT
So this is for auto-x? I would a S/C is almost a must for when you race road courses. That and thousands of dollars sunk into the suspension.
For road courses, i go to a lot of track days and want my car to be at its best. The suspension has for the most part not a stock part left. What i am trying to decide is if i should go for around 375RWHP and then get nitrous for the strip when i go there, or just a Centri-SC, i am starting to think the S/C is the better option of the two, since it will save me some money, and might perform better. My concern was the S/C overheating, but with an intercooler centrifugal, it seems like that isn't an issue.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:06 PM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MasterOfEvil

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT
For road courses, i go to a lot of track days and want my car to be at its best. The suspension has for the most part not a stock part left. What i am trying to decide is if i should go for around 375RWHP and then get nitrous for the strip when i go there, or just a Centri-SC, i am starting to think the S/C is the better option of the two, since it will save me some money, and might perform better. My concern was the S/C overheating, but with an intercooler centrifugal, it seems like that isn't an issue.
I wouldnt worry about overheating aslong as you have your intercooler and everything is tuned right. And a centri S/C would be an awesome add on for what you want and need.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
MasterOfEvil

Looking at the cost of the centri S/C and my needs, it seems to be what i should do, even though i kind of wanted to build up a 4.6, i think in the end the centrifugal will be better. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:07 AM
NativeAmericanMuscle

I got a JLT CAI Series 3 110mm, CAI, 65mm GT5OO TB, Comp Cams, Comp. LT Super Hooker headers, O/R X pipe, ST3 Hi flow CNC Ported Trick Flow Heads, and a Stroker kit and 4.56 gears soon. I plan on trying to make a N/A beast with a compression of hopefully 10.34:1 maybe try and make it run on 91Oct with a little bit of nitrous. a build with a little over 23 grand under the hood