Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.10's are in!!! but....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:36 PM
jackosgt

Default 4.10's are in!!! but....

So, I got the 4.10's in on wednesday... wow! I like the difference.... they dont really effect the everyday drivability of the car... I deffinitly recomend them.

However I am getting a whistling sound when I am deccelerating.... it starts at about 40mph and just gets more high pitched if im faster.... dont know if its the gears, if its because of the break in period, or if they are bad.... the mechanic said that everything lined up perfectly but I would like some feedback from some of you experts.... They make no noise when my foot is on the gas.... only on the backlash of me with my foot off the gas or in nuetral.....

Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 03:35 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.10's are in!!! but....

I'm no expert, but i'm not getting any whistle sound when decelerating. I actually had more of a whistle with the stock gears, but only when decelerating in a low gear like 1st or 2nd.

What gears did you buy?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

No whistling with mine either. I can hear the gear when I first accelerate to about 10 mph's. But its not a whistle. Almost sounds like a watch ticking. You really have to listen for it though, it's that minute of a sound.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

whining on deceleration is a sign of incorrect installation.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 PM
05CLASSIC
2nd Gear Member

Mine actually did whine slightly when decelerating for the first 3-4 days. Nothing loud just a slight whine. Three weeks later, sounds just like stock. Perfectly quiet.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM
jackosgt

I went with motive gears. kinda got suckered into buying them,.. then got stuck with them.... rpm outlet doesnt have the best customer service...

I dont hear anything while accelerating... the whistling sound is basically hearing the gears spinning at a high speed i guess... its not so much a grinding though... didnt know if it was normal.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 PM
jackosgt

This is more of the reply i was looking for.... im hoping its just for the break in period.... its not that annoying or anything im just worried about it.... Im one of those guys that hears everything.... its only loud enough that if i put the radio onIcant hear it....
Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 PM
jackosgt

ORIGINAL: zkiller

whining on deceleration is a sign of incorrect installation.

Is it gonna get worse...? the mechanic is well known for building rear ends... he said that the pinion lined up perfectly and everything.... andthat the noise was probably because of the fact that that gear is so tight......
Old 06-08-2007, 07:45 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

motive gears have been known to have problems....rpm outlet has been documented tons on this forum as well as others.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:44 AM
jackosgt

ORIGINAL: howarmat

motive gears have been known to have problems....rpm outlet has been documented tons on this forum as well as others.
Yuppp... ive read it alot of it... unfortunately it was all before i was ever on this site.... kinda depressing.... actually its been about 150 miles and the whistling/whining is getting quieter.... things are looking better!

Quick Reply: 4.10's are in!!! but....