Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Torque Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:01 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Torque Converter Question

thats exactly what i did. I've worked with TCI on other race cars so I truct they would point me in the right direction. Most of the failures are from the lockup clutches. Guys tend to get aggressive with the lockup schedules...guilty also...and that leads to a short life for them. also they usually can't handle more than 200-300ft.lbs. so bringing in the lockup too soon will surely fry them quickly especially with any type of power adder making loads of torque. If you are planing on going the high HP route then you will be money ahead by using a PI multi disc converter or something of that sorts(especially if you are going to be aggressive with lockups and race the thing a bunch.
also contact doug at b.a.m.a.c.h.i.p.s. he will give you a tune that will make your car scream with that new converter.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

And another twist. I changed my lock-up schedule with the stock unit. I can nose stand at around 3400rpm now with the stock unit. However it absolutley does not hit as hard as a converter designed to stall at 3400RPM and I got enough slipping durring normal driving to worry me. So I now only use the higher RPM lock-up when racing due to after launch I am above the lock-up RPM for the rest of the run.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:57 PM
elevsec50

Hello every one. i am new to this site i have a 06 gt auto and stumbled across this site.i am putting in a tci 3000 stall right now as we speak.i see you talking about changing lock up timing as well as shift points(COOL) how is this done? i assume you need a programer of sorts, witch one sct or diablo,also any other good performance mods for a some what daily driver would be helpfull, thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I just had the TCI 3000 stall installed today and wow what a difference. From 3000 on it just pulls like crazy. I highly recommend this mod to anyone with the auto tranny. My only regret is not doing this before the SC was installed. From a 20-30 roll it just goes nuts so I guess suspension and tires are next for me. I did go with the TCI so I will post if I run into any issues but right now I really like it. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:35 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Heavyg72

I just had the TCI 3000 stall installed today and wow what a difference. From 3000 on it just pulls like crazy. I highly recommend this mod to anyone with the auto tranny. My only regret is not doing this before the SC was installed. From a 20-30 roll it just goes nuts so I guess suspension and tires are next for me. I did go with the TCI so I will post if I run into any issues but right now I really like it. Thanks!
congrats...yeah I am going back and forth...originally I had a great deal on a PI single disk...but the seller had a family emergency and had to back out of the deal...would have only cost me $499.....but now back in the research market for one...still going to probably go with a PI....but have to wait on the dough ......
Old 08-14-2007, 08:18 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

K i'm a noob in the TC business thing, but its definetelly something i'll buy in the near future, hopefully within the next months, whats the difference bewteen ordering a single disk or multi-disk TC? Planing on a PI @3,500 ...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

K i'm a noob in the TC business thing, but its definetelly something i'll buy in the near future, hopefully within the next months, whats the difference bewteen ordering a single disk or multi-disk TC? Planing on a PI @3,500 ...
multi disk is reccommended for cars that are supercharged and people who like to do aggressive lockups on their TC. mainly for the drag strip..
Old 08-14-2007, 08:36 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

and will work also for street use? goin to the strip every now and then ...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 PM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

I am also thinking of going this route soon.Do you need a re-tune to run the converter? I am using a B A M A tune right now and will the car still run good with out a special tune for the converter?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

SpeedRacer9220 - I had the same question so I asked Brent at Brenspeed and no I did not have to retune after the TC was installed.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Question