Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Throttle body opinions. Do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:12 AM
Glenn_GT07CS

Default RE: Throttle body opinions. Do they work?

So, theUDP doesn't eventually cause problems for the engine?
Old 09-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Glenn_GT07CS

Thanks for the replies! The TB and spacer are off the list. Until I get another car, this Stang is my daily driver... gears will have to wait. Still curious why some say pulleys cause problems.

It's funny how the blower keeps moving its way up the list!
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

No UDPs shouldnt cause you any problem at all
Old 09-22-2007, 11:48 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glenn_GT07CS
Can someone give me the skinny on after market throttle bodies. I've heard that some have issues. Is a 62MM or 70MM worth it? What if I just went with a spacer?

My CAI and Tune will be here in a few days... but, I want more POWER
Hi Glenn_GT07CS,

The skinny on throttle bodies is that it depends. What it depends on is unknown and unknowable. I've installed several BBK 62mmthrottle bodies all on'05's with 5-speeds and had no problems with them and they all added power, in my case I did a back to back test and picked up 6-8RWHP dpending on the pull you look at. So yes they work for some people and for others they never get it to work! I think is has it do with the ECU and the underlying software version used but nobody has figured it out 100%.

If you want to add more power on the cheap look into FRPP CMCV delete plates. These are proven to work with no losslow RPM torque to the tune of about 10-12RWHP for about $100. The FRPP CMCV deletes are easy to install and make adifference in power when drivingin the upper RPM rangebut you will need a tune thattakes the CMCV deletes into consideration.

A much better choice to reduce parasitic drag than resorting to a pulley kit is a Meziere electric water pump for about $350. The stock pulley setup is designed to run the alternator, power steering pump and water pumps at reasonable speeds allowing them todo their jobs reliably. If you use a different pulley to slow down your engine accessories you will be pumping less water and less power steering fluid and making less energy to keep the battery charged.Ford designed the pulley system the way they did for a reason and unless you are racing or keep the engine at higer RPM all the time your electrical and cooling systems are being short changed.By using an electric water pump you can kill three birds with one stone. You keep your electrical system fully charge up even under extended low RPM operation,reduceparasitic engine losses due to the water pump andkeep water pumping through the radiatorkeeping your engine cool more of the time. AMeziere EH2O pump is worth 8-12RWHP depending on RPM and willhelp keep your car running cool even on those hot nights you are out cruising in traffic.

For the strip you could always install a Nitrous Oxide kit which works well but in not as cheap as you might think once you get all the goodies you need to really make it work well.

HTH!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:17 PM
rpatyna

HI there, I was glad to hear from F1 Fan that a TB did work. From what I have read , it does depend on the mods that have already been done, and that some mods work in conjunction with others. A custom tune is always your best bet though. I did put the spacer on. Whether it worked or not ,, who knows. You wouldn't really notice 1-5 HP anyways so what the heck. Get rid on rotating mass. A one pc driveshaft is a good start , along with 4:10 gears. I have read that a GT 500 TB may be our best bet, but I am not sure where to get one or the cost.

Good luck.........N/A all the way !!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:18 PM
rpatyna

opps, fogot to post my mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460665/1

Old 09-24-2007, 12:48 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

My TB came as a package deal with the tuner. I had problems at first but cleared them up with the tune. The BBK TB may also need to be tuned itself and there is a procedure on that. The UDP I just installed and so far it's great. I've ran my best 1/4 time since (hadn't done a run since the X pipe though) and my fuel mileage has increased 1-2 MPG on the highway with just the UDP. I will agree that an electric H2O pump would be better but I was looking at the cost. CMCV deletes are still on the list but will probably come after a driveshaft and LCAs.

Just my $0.02.