Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Question on Motive gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question on Motive gears

You are just going to be coming back on the board in a week saying how you can't stand the whine... Just do us all a favor and save yourself and us the noise and just get the FRPP.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:37 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Many people bash the motives and FRPP "M"s (by motive) but brenspeed sells and installs motives and does not run into gear whine, if they were junk then brent wouldn't sell them, he is godlike. Just my .02
Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

i talked to the guy from quartermile solution and he said hes installed alot of motive, including his car, which i have heard, and he said the gear whine isnt very loud, he said u can only hear it when u are driving with the windows up and no music on. if its a small noise it wont bother me much. im going to call brenspeed and see what they say abot the gears since u mentioned them
Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 05slpGT

i talked to the guy from quartermile solution and he said hes installed alot of motive, including his car, which i have heard, and he said the gear whine isnt very loud, he said u can only hear it when u are driving with the windows up and no music on. if its a small noise it wont bother me much. im going to call brenspeed and see what they say abot the gears since u mentioned them
been there, done that. They'll tell you that their installs are quiet and that it comes down to the installer moreso than the brand of gears you're using.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

well richie, what would u do. Go with the discounted motives? or wait and get ford racing.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 05slpGT

well richie, what would u do. Go with the discounted motives? or wait and get ford racing.
I got the FRPP "A"'s just to be sure. I've got a bit of whine though.Oh well.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:24 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I think the installer's input is important here.When questioned by the mechanic, myapproach was to tell him "do whatever worked the last 5 times." Now having said that, I did bring FRPP gears in with me for the install because they SEEMED on the forums to result in less problems,and I don't think the price difference is worth potential headaches. The brand of gear might not have mattered though, because if you look at this thread I posted, www.mustangforums.com/m_3870374/tm.htm and scroll halfway down the pictures, there's a picture of just about every brand of gear imaginable! I would use whatever the mechanic has had the best success with.

Sleeper2
Old 09-30-2007, 02:40 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

I had 4.10s installed by a local shop here in Houston. I won't mention the name but it wasn't quartermile solutions. I asked for the Ford FRPP gear and they said that's all they use. Well as it came to be, they installed the Ford gear with the "M" made by Motive. They whined. I've had my car in 3 times total and it's going in for a 4th next week. I can't stand the whine and between that and the attitude and poor customer service I've received from the shop, it's an absolute sickening experience. Wait and get the FRPP "A" gear. Buy it from americanmuscle.com or something and have someone knowledgableinstall it. You'll be happy you did. Due to my experience with the gears, I've postponed other mods (driveshaft and suspension) until this sick feeling in my stomach is gone.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:15 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

1 more note:
The shop that did my install just told me last week that Ford put out a TSB on the pinion bearings due to a bad run of them. The shop swears this is the source of the whine and when I bring it back, a new gear and bearing will fix it. I hope they are right.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:33 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

I plan on replacing all off the bearings and using royal purple. Im really not sure what do to. I went by the shop today for him to check out myexhuast andi heard his automatic roush that has motive gears and it barely made any noise. It wasnt bad. He installed his own so well see.