Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

ATI vs PAXTON

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:59 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ATI vs PAXTON

Not sure this still applies, butwhen I boughtthe Procharger, the last page of the manual showed how to purchase the extended warranty for $49. Got me an extra 2 years for a total of 3 or 36,000. In addition to which I received sufficient supercharger oil for the extra 6000 mile changes. Great deal for $49.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:45 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Dont have tons of input on this thread but I wanted to say 2 things.

When possible I would always buy from brenspeed. Best customer service I have found in the whole aftermarket car industry. If they sold whipple's I would be getting a supercharger from them, but they dont . Give them a call and you will see the difference, well hear it anyway .

2nd is I did alot of research on the prochargers as I was contemplating getting one. Search the multipel mustang forums for threads on broken prochargers. From what I have seen you either get a good one that will last forever or a bad one that you will be sending back over and over again. From what I have read if takes 5 or 6 times of them rebuilding it before they will replace it with a new one. Most of the time there is oil leaks within the unit. Most find them within a day of install.

With the above in mind I recommend going with the paxton, although I would really say get a twin screw but that is just my personal preference.

Also I understand that all of the above procharger info is not from personal experience but is the boiled down version of what you will see on the boards to keep you from having to research it. Every company is bound to have some bad products go out the door, but when it is a common occurrance that is a problem. But hey you could get a good one and be very happy so take it for whats its worth.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:53 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

I love my procharger because of the way it sounds, because its self contained and my other friends have run it with great results ive been running mine for some time now and i have not had a problem since the install.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:34 PM
killbee
1st Gear Member

You can get the new Paxton SL series that is self contained so you dont have to tap the oil pan. I dont know alot about the Procharger but I had a Paxton on my 90 GT and beat on it daily. 0 issues with it and they have improved them more in the last 15 years. I also think the 2200SL series that Brenspeed sells is rated up to 1000hp so you have plenty of room to grow without having to change head units.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Does Brenspeed sell the SL version now?
Is the SL version better? I would think constant oil flow is a good thing, but so is an engineered oil for the supercharger alone.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Stolen 98
1st Gear Member

Yes brenspeed sells the 2200SL I am between a paxton and a whipple...I really want to buy from brenspeed though.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

My ? is do you have to remove the head unit to change the oil on the Paxton SL head unit? The oil drain plug on the ATI unit is pretty much outta reach so when I was helping my buddy I just found it more convenient to remove the head unit. Hopefully the Novi SL unit is more maint friendly.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

When changing the oil on the head unit, it IS difficult to get to the drain plug. But to do it without a mess is the real trick. I found an small oval shaped funnel at the local parts store and attached a hose to it long enough to reach through the car and into a drain pan. Works like a charm and no more mess.

The extended warranty is a great buy, and I would suggest it.

Mine has been on for 6000 miles and no issues yet.

Yeah, Im a small guy. No huge advertising budget, 24hrstaffed customer service, etc. But I am only 12 minutes from ATI and would personally go there to arrange help with any issues that arise. I realize I sound just like "any other member" on this forum. After all, you only see my words on your screen and nothing more. But in regard to ProCharger, I'm virtually right next door.