Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Next mod for Auto?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Next mod for Auto?...

If you're staying NA then the TCI will be fine but if you are going to go FI in the future then spend the extra and get the PI multi-plate.

Earl
Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

any links to these parts??
Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

I'm most probably staying N/A.

So, your saying I should be fine with the TCI.

What's the average price for installing this?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
supracrowdis
1st Gear Member

I am looking to get a torque converter soon with 4.10 gears n/a what stall speed would you guy think would do good at the drag strip but still good for dd? 3500
Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

what about the maximum stall on a daily driver/weekend warrior?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

TCI = reworked stock converter.
Spend the money on a good converter!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

PI also makes a single plate converter that is similar to the TCI and about the same price. PI is located here http://www.converter.com/ If it were my decision I would spend the extra and get the multi-plate even with an NA setup. The install should be between $400-$700 depending on where you get it done.

Earl
Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

$500-$700 for an install. Holy crap. Back in the late '70's we did our own.
Drain the fluid, drop the driveshaft and remove the tranny from the crossmember,
remove the bolts from the bellhousing, slide it back on a jack, remove converter
(they're pretty heavy - filled with fluid) put oil in new converter and reverse process.
Hardest part really was getting to the bolts on the top of the bellhousing.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kcmarti

ORIGINAL: ryan858

Thanks for the input guys, I know the Gears will get me to my power band faster and speed up the car, but what does the Torque Converter do?
The Torque Converter is the "clutch" for automatic transmissions. It uses transmission fluid to transmit the engine power to the transmission. At a stand still, very little fluid is pumped, which allows the engine to keep turning while the wheels and transmission are not. As engine speed increases, so does the fluid pressure and eventually both the engine (i.e., TC) and the transmission spin at almost the same speed (although the standard TC will always spin slightly faster than the transmission - that is a reason why auto fuel economy suffers). Upgrading to a "lock-up" TC (i.e., one thatlocks the engine and transmission together at a certain speed/rpm) will direct more torque to the wheels for improved acceleration.
most newer torque converters do lock at a certain speed to help with fuel economy, however an idea one would be to find on that you can lock in all gears except first

however i would go with 4.10s
Old 02-06-2008, 11:57 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

ORIGINAL: kcmarti

ORIGINAL: ryan858

Thanks for the input guys, I know the Gears will get me to my power band faster and speed up the car, but what does the Torque Converter do?
The Torque Converter is the "clutch" for automatic transmissions. It uses transmission fluid to transmit the engine power to the transmission. At a stand still, very little fluid is pumped, which allows the engine to keep turning while the wheels and transmission are not. As engine speed increases, so does the fluid pressure and eventually both the engine (i.e., TC) and the transmission spin at almost the same speed (although the standard TC will always spin slightly faster than the transmission - that is a reason why auto fuel economy suffers). Upgrading to a "lock-up" TC (i.e., one thatlocks the engine and transmission together at a certain speed/rpm) will direct more torque to the wheels for improved acceleration.
most newer torque converters do lock at a certain speed to help with fuel economy, however an idea one would be to find on that you can lock in all gears except first

however i would go with 4.10s

I have been doing some thinking "burning smell in background" TCI is coming out with a 5455S transmission soon, stall is like 3200-3400 RPM, I think the price with swap will be under $2000, wouldnt it be better tojust swap in the TCItransmission instead of just the torque converter with the stock transmission? The install price couldn't be that much more over just the converter install, I believe you already have to remove almost everything just to install torque converter.

You get asolid trans (rated to 650 HP) with a higher stall already available.

Just my thoughts ?

Quick Reply: Next mod for Auto?...