Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

JBA vs. BBK?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Default RE: JBA vs. BBK?

Thanks for the great info kcmarti. I'm really leaning toward the JBA short-tube headers, but the BBK's are even cheaper and therefore pretty tempting if they are a quality header. I wish I could find a dyno test of the JBA's like I did for the BBK's.

The long tubes no doubt do offer more HP potential, but they also cost more and require the purchase of a catted X/H pipe to remain legal. So by my research, they will be at a minimum twice the cost of short tube headers. So rather than $350.00 to $500.00, I would be paying $1,000.00 to $1,350.00. I just don't know if the extra power is worth over twice the cost.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bkmagby

Thanks for the great info kcmarti. I'm really leaning toward the JBA short-tube headers, but the BBK's are even cheaper and therefore pretty tempting if they are a quality header. I wish I could find a dyno test of the JBA's like I did for the BBK's.

The long tubes no doubt do offer more HP potential, but they also cost more and require the purchase of a catted X/H pipe to remain legal. So by my research, they will be at a minimum twice the cost of short tube headers. So rather than $350.00 to $500.00, I would be paying $1,000.00 to $1,350.00. I just don't know if the extra power is worth over twice the cost.
Ask, and yee shall receive. Here are the results frommy setup (according to JBA):

Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Thanks, those are really impressive gains! I wish I could find an independent test to back those numbers up. But I'm sure that JBA is a pretty trustworthy and reputable company.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 AM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

To all of you that are running short tube headers, did any of you re-tune after you installed them? It seams that with short tube headers a tune is not required, this was also stated by GT-Bob in his recent write-up. Just wanted to get a consensus of what everyone one was doing that installed their short tube headers.

Also, for those of you that have installed short tube headers, how pleased are you with the results. Can you feel the difference? Was it worth all the time, effort and expense to buy and install them?

Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

I added my tune well after the header install. In my opinion it is worth the expense. As far as time and effort, when working on the Mustang, isn't that a good thing??? One thing I will add about the JBA shorty's - they ironed out the drone that I was getting (in the 50 - 60 MPH range) after replacing the stock mufflers withthe JBA mufflers.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kcmarti

First, you do not need new motor mount for JBA shorties. Second, thosewho say there is little or no benefit from all shorties, do not know what they are talking about.While itis true that LTssupport, and will achieve,higher HP, it is in the upper RPM range and at the cost of low end torque. I did extensive research on the shorties before deciding on the 1 1/2" JBA ceramic coated header, shorties from BBK, MAC and Hooker. The BBK and MAC, while better than the stock manifold have unequal length tubes. The JBA and Hooker shorties are made with equal length tubes which greatly aid in exhaust scavenging. The Hooker's in particular, and the JBA's as well,are designed to improve low end torque and HP. Both are capable of supporting mid to upper 400 HP applications. I eventually choose the JBA shorties for two reasons, (1) they came with1 1/2" tubes (which enhance even further, their low end torque production), and (2) they were available with the (more expensive) silver ceramic coating, which I could not get from the Hookers). Installwas relatively easy -I did mine by myself, in the driveway,with only ramps anda hydraulic floorjack - took me about 6 hours and 4 beers.
In the directions JBA provides they specifically say that prothane type motor mounts are recommended. I ignored it and later found out I did need new mounts. If you take your car through a road course or through some really tight twisties, generally on left turns, the entire motor will move ever so slightly to the right and rub against the frame rail. Some have gotten away with not getting them.

I choose the JBA for all the same reasons you mentioned above. But I didn't get the ceramic coated version and I wish I had.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Simon1, are you running Short Tube or Long Tube JBA's? Just asking since you mentioned the headers hitting the frame rail.

Also, for all of you who have installed headers, it would be of great help to all of us who will, if you could maybemake a list of "required" as well as "nice to have" tools for the job. There's nothing worse than having you car torn down in the middle of a project and realizing you are missing a specific tool or part to finish the job.

Also as I mentioned above, could you let us know if there were any tools that weren't absolutely required, but would have made the job allot easier. A list of these “required” and most importantly “nice to have” tools would be a great resource for anyone about to install a set of headers.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM
OrangeGTCS
1st Gear Member

I have the JBA LTs With catted H-pipe and they are a good 8 hour install. Your basic tools should be all you need, with the addition of a torque wrench.

Assortment of sockets, metric mainly, deep and regular depth.
Assortment of extensions
Torque wrench
Open end wrench on some header bolts.
Floor Jack
Jack stands
5/16 allen socket on motor mounts (if adding).

I think that was about it. Also keep an open mind and just take your time and it will be over in about 8 hours, by yourself.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bkmagby

Simon1, are you running Short Tube or Long Tube JBA's? Just asking since you mentioned the headers hitting the frame rail.

Also, for all of you who have installed headers, it would be of great help to all of us who will, if you could maybemake a list of "required" as well as "nice to have" tools for the job. There's nothing worse than having you car torn down in the middle of a project and realizing you are missing a specific tool or part to finish the job.

Also as I mentioned above, could you let us know if there were any tools that weren't absolutely required, but would have made the job allot easier. A list of these “required” and most importantly “nice to have” tools would be a great resource for anyone about to install a set of headers.

Thanks.
I have the JBA shorties, just like kcmarti. His are slightly different in that they are ceramic coated. I'm embarrassed to say I din't install these myself. I should have, I have the tools and the skills but I had a bunch of cash at the time and not alot of time.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Thanks for info guys.

OrangeGTCS, do you think a set of ratcheting box end wrenches would help were the open end wrenches are needed? Also, how did you go about jacking up the engine to remove the motor mounts? Did you place something like a 2x2 under the side rail of the oil pan and just lift the side of the motor enough to remove the motor mount?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: JBA vs. BBK?