Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need some help with a throttle body install....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Need some help with a throttle body install....

Yes there have been people to get them to work, but they have also proven to give virtually no gains on the setup you have, all you have is a CAI/tune......you dont have CMCV, LTs, cams, or headwork......you arent gaining any thing at this point.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rugedraw

I'm a hard-headed, stubborn bastard.
Yousaid it! TBs are worthless unless you are flowing SERIOUS air. (Like forced induction.) Even then, the GT500 TB is the only one that has proven to be trouble free.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

All the gains you are seeing from this TB is from the fact that it fools the airflow model into thinking less air is coming into the intake plenum than really is.. since it sees less air than it there, it puts in less fuel and the end result is an AFR that goes from a factory commanded 12.1 to 1 to something slightly leaner, like maybe 12.5 or 12.6 to 1.

Besides which, the Stock TB flows enough air to support between 550 and 600 HP reliably without becoming a restriction... there are so many other places that could benefit from less restriction than the snake oil BS these companies are pushing about the TB's.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

I tried the BBK TB and sent it back after throwing codes and the car just plain refusing to start or idle anywhere close to normal. Then, I bought the GT500 TB (which is a $133 part by the way) and first, it won't bolt up to the stock manifold properly without an adapter (which JDM will charge you $200 extra for), then second, your OEM or aftermarket 90 degree elbow will not fit over it. A complete waste of money - even JDM states over on modular fords maybe a 1-3hp gain on a N/A setup. I returned to stock and couldn't be happier.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 AM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm......I did hear something about people having a hard time fitting the air inlet hoses to the GT500 TB's. You have to wonder, though.....

If you pull the TB off, and measure the holes on the Ford OEM intake manifold, they are bigger than even the 62mm TB holes. Sounds like Ford purposely restricting the air-flow to me. In older Mustangs, replacing the TB did nothing, because you would put a 65mm or 70mm TB, and the hole on the intake manifold would be smaller than the TB defeating the entire purpose of the part; unless you purchased an aftermarket intake, as well.

With the S197s, we can actually benefit from a TB using the stock manifold, but the fly-by-wire system is so sensitive, that TB's are a pain in butt. I don't see why manufactures don't just take a stock one apart, weight the internals, and make a part to match that weight.

As far as the car running leaner or richer, that is an easy fix using the Diablo or SCT tuners that are capable of adjusting the fuel and MAF parameters to whatever set-up you are running. If you are going to use metal gears, then manufacturers should include their own spring that will properly close the valves when you let off the throttle. I'm sure there is money to be made if someone makes that spring and eBays it..........lol. I'd buy one........

Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 AM
awarren1961

sounds like the tps voltage is off on the new tb. check the voltage on the tps with the tb motor disconnected and key on. check the yellow wire. should be around 1.19-1.25+/-. then put the new one on and check it. may have to adjust the position screw. to correct the voltage. your tb manufacturer should have a more detailed description on how to adjust voltage.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

OK, first I happen to agree with most of the comments on here about the TB being a waste unless you are actually building a N/A car up with Heads, etc. Or are looking to boost a few extra HP out of your FI engine. Secondly, awarren1961 is probably right, you need to adjust the voltage on your TPS...it is that important and will cause major issues. If you get it set right, and installed right, you should be fine. I have had a BBK 62MM TB installed for nearly 13,000 miles now without any issues at all.

HTH