Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

LTs design problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation LTs design problem?

I got a call from Seth at Brenspeed and he informed me that the BBKs I wanted were gonna throw a check engine light that couldnt be tuned out, it would have to be shut off perm. He wanted to make sure I was aware of it and gave me a choice of still completing the order or switching to the Kooks or MACs which dont have this problem. Apparantly its due to design changes in the headers from BBK, SLP, Bassani etc. and their changing the O2 designs, even with the O2 extensions, it throws a code that cant be tuned out and if you have to go to emissions and plug in your cars computer they see that code has been shut off and you got problems. So, I went with the ceramic coated MACs with o/r x . Actually saved $50 in the process and he promised same performance gains.
Anyone using the MACs?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:33 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Yikes. I have Bassani LT's waiting to be installed. I hope I don't have that problem. I'm not in an emissions state, but I'd like to state emissions-clean anyway. Don't want to go through a bunch of crap if I ever move.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

you'll have that problem if they're bassani's. good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Is that gonna affect performance or MPG? Perhaps the car doesn't know how rich or lean it is?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Its odd to me that no one on here ever mentioned anything like this...I would figure it is useful info that would help others decide what to go with. From what I was told, MAC and Kooks are the only two that DONT have that code problem.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 AM
robsimp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueOvalBlood
I got a call from Seth at Brenspeed and he informed me that the BBKs I wanted were gonna throw a check engine light that couldnt be tuned out, it would have to be shut off perm. He wanted to make sure I was aware of it and gave me a choice of still completing the order or switching to the Kooks or MACs which dont have this problem. Apparantly its due to design changes in the headers from BBK, SLP, Bassani etc. and their changing the O2 designs, even with the O2 extensions, it throws a code that cant be tuned out and if you have to go to emissions and plug in your cars computer they see that code has been shut off and you got problems. So, I went with the ceramic coated MACs with o/r x . Actually saved $50 in the process and he promised same performance gains.
Anyone using the MACs?
what o/r x did you get?? not a prochamber??
Old 11-15-2008, 05:10 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

did he tell you what the code was, They cant shut the front O2s off, this would cause problems. Some LTs cause a transport delay or slow response code to pop up. To my knowledge you just leave the sensors in an always "on" state to get around that if it becomes a problem. Other than that i dont know of any problems with LTs.

The macs and kooks are MID LENGTH headers and that is why they dont have the issue, full length headers like Bassani, Borla and ARH possibly can throw these codes.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

To be honest I dont remember the exact explanation (sorry) but it made sense when he explained it. He did inform me the MACs and Kooks are mid-length in comparison but they still offer the same gains as the BBks and other full length. To me it is most about the gains, sound, and the combination for the near future additions I will be doing. Thats what I like about Brenspeed, they inquire about your plans for the car and offer what they have found to work best for what you want. The kit I ended up going with was $90 cheaper, and comes with the O2 extensions, so its not like he was just feeding me BS to upsell me.
As far as what o/r x I am getting, it isnt the prochamber, its a MAC x with legs to complete the distance between the LTs and the X. You can see it on their site if you are curious. The X is actually a MAC/Pac. part # XL2005 and this is the only X that is a “direct bolt up” fit.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

If you have a programmer and it can be turned off perminately, who cares?

In my SCT program I had them set it up to turn off the rear 02s so I could run with no cats just incase I desided to go that route later.

Choose the headers that fit, sound and perform the best for the range you can afford.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:59 PM
robsimp
1st Gear Member

sweet.. post some sound clips when your done..

Quick Reply: LTs design problem?