Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Install Cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:24 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I paid $800 to have my Whipple HO installed which is an intercooled kit and comes with new fuel pumps, I'd think the install for a non intercooled vortech should be lower than that.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The thing I liked about buying the Brenspeed kit and having a shop install it is that I took the guesswork out of the equation. I didn't have to worry about the shop chasing #s and pushing the car to wring every last ounce of power out of it. I just wanted a fun/fast setup without going crazy, and I trust Brenspeed for their tunes. Also, as I said before, the fact that I already had bought the kit also removed negotiation from the deal. The shops were competing for my trust and labor cost was all.

You'll have to weigh cost vs the shop's reputation, amount of time in business, etc. I originally wanted to use HPP Racing who has a good reputation, but they are chronically busy and just took too long to reply to me. The one time I called and talked to someone, he promised to email me back later that day to give me a quote on a turbo kit (this is the one shop I contacted BEFORE buying the Brenspeed kit), and I just never heard from him again. About a week after the Vortech was installed, I got an email reply from the shop owner quoting about $945 for labor/dyno/supplies. It was a good quote, and I'd have given them the business for sure, but it was just too late.

I also contacted Keith Craft Motorsports who is a fairly well respected engine builder, and they wanted $1200 and to keep the car for 2 weeks, which was out of the question. Lone Star Performance fell in the middle in terms of estimate at around $1050, and they were able to take the car right away and promise it within a week (it took them 3 days). I couldn't really find much about them on the web, but given they've been in business for 17 years I figured if they had been screwing up cars left and right, someone would be out there bitching. I took a gamble on them and found when I arrived at the shop that they had a pretty nice showroom. They also had a Ford GT and a Lambo in there... They seem to have done a good job, because I've got no problems so far.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Mach,

I sent you a pm about your blower install. Any questions, let me know.

Casey
Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Ahh yes, I forgot Haney is out there in AZ!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

THanks for all the replies. That's why i am starting now and doing all my homework. Casey I replied to your pm, sorry for the delay, haven't been at the computer much.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Originally Posted by Mach
THanks for all the replies. That's why i am starting now and doing all my homework. Casey I replied to your pm, sorry for the delay, haven't been at the computer much.
I got it and responded

Thanks

Casey
Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

I ask Casey but I'd like some other opinions as well. What about gauges? Are they necessary? If so what?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach
I ask Casey but I'd like some other opinions as well. What about gauges? Are they necessary? If so what?

Thanks!
Technically they aren't necessary, but I personally wouldn't run a S/C without gauges. Boost and Air/Fuel would be the top two IMO. Fuel Pressure is helpful as well. I'm running a boost gauge, A/F gauge, and an Aeroforce Interceptor which does Fuel Pressure as well as a ton of other params. Total cost of all the gauges & pods was north of $700.