Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

cams and vortech non-intercooled...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I wouldn't bother with the cams. The car is already making at least 5 lbs of boost at higher RPMs (and around 8 when it nears redline) meaning there is no shortage of power up there. IMO take the money for the other mods and invest it into some gauges so you can be sure your setup is working. I spent nearly $700+ for my 3 gauges and the pod, etc. You could also go for the HO kit, but in my case I didn't want the extra power. Mine barely can get any traction now in first and second, and I only have the 3.31s. I was originally going to get 4.10s, but I no longer see a point and I'm glad I didn't get them... At this power level, the stock suspension seems to do ok, and the stock tires are barely able to hook at all. Any more than this, and I'm off having to spend another $1000+ which I'm just not willing to do ATM. Unless you are going to drag the car or track it, etc, the non-IC will be fine for you. Theoretically if you beat on it repetitively, heatsoak will set it and you'll pull timing / lose power. An intercooler will negate some of that. I don't go around doing that however, so its been a non issue for me so far. When its 110 degrees outside, I wouldn't beat on the car whether it was intercooled or not.

There isn't much lag with this kit IMO. When you nail it hard, the car responds and builds boost quickly. I bounced off the rev limiter the other day in second because it was pulling like a freight train and came up so fast. You can easily hit 60 in less than 5 seconds, I actually think its closer to 4 now. The only time any "lag" is noticeable is when you try and floor it in the wrong gear. For example if I'm going 40mph in 4th gear and punch it, yeah, it takes a long time to get any boost. I'd recommend getting the kit put on, THEN deciding what other mods you want. See how it is first, you might just wind up saving some money like I did because I've cut a few things off the mod list now after having it.
It sounds like an awesome kit with even just a stock car pretty much (which is what I have basically other then the intake/tune). I don't think heatsoak would be an issue being that it 'only' gets up to 80 up here, 85 at the most.. if anything I'll sit for 10-15 minutes before back to back runs at the track. But that does sound like a good idea to get the intercooler upgrade rather then cams...

(-:

if that's not enough , I 'still' have my 4.10s sitting around waiting for install lol.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The intercooler for sure isn't a bad thing to have. You'll get more power from it, but IMO then you're on the bleeding edge of what the stock motor and tranny/clutch will handle. I like to have a bit more of a safety buffer personally as opposed to max output. You could have a local tuner dial it back probably, or maybe you're comfortable with it as-is. I don't go to the track at all, so when I nail it once and a while on the street, the power is always there. The intercooler just wasn't worth the money for me given my usage and expectations.

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-01-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

If I were to get the intercooler I'd still be running 5-8psi, I'd get it just to keep things running cool when dragging or racing hard. Since air is being run through the intake constantly though, I think it should be fine to either let it idle or 10-15 minutes to cool it down.

Now the hard part is waiting for it lol.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

If I punch it a few times in a row my intake temp will show about 20-30 degrees higher. It comes down gradually over the course of 10-15 minutes of driving.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

^^ it's a good thing races, either on the street or the track, only lasts a seconds lol.

(-:
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah man, I'm not in boost perpetually, so when I need it the power is there. The intercooler surely isn't a bad thing to have, however you'll have to decide whether its worth $1000-$1200 to you. It won't save you from heatsoak, it'll just delay the inevitable if you are beating the car like crazy. No matter what, compressing air generates heat, so physics are against you, lol.

I've seen some water/meth kits for fairly cheap from Snow Performance. I don't know much about them other than they are a fraction of the cost of the I/C. Still need to research when I'm bored one day...
Old 01-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Ok, well take it from a guy that was where you both are with the non intercooled kit. It was worth it to get the intercooler even if you are going to keep the same pully on the S/Cer. Even if you dont up the boost you'll get more out of the S/Cer with the cold air that is coming out of the intercooler. Even during the 1/4 mile at the track the engine pulls timing because the air is getting hot. The inter cooler is going to help prevent that. In all the mods that i've done getting the intercooler was prob the smartest thing that I did.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brian_Zinchuk
Ok, well take it from a guy that was where you both are with the non intercooled kit. It was worth it to get the intercooler even if you are going to keep the same pully on the S/Cer. Even if you dont up the boost you'll get more out of the S/Cer with the cold air that is coming out of the intercooler. Even during the 1/4 mile at the track the engine pulls timing because the air is getting hot. The inter cooler is going to help prevent that. In all the mods that i've done getting the intercooler was prob the smartest thing that I did.
I totally respect your opinion Brian, wholeheartedly. However there is one thing for certain, and that is that you have gone for FAR more power than I am looking for, and you run the car at the track as well. Your expectations exceed mine by a huge margin. You have a cool setup going, and some impressive #s, but its just not my goal. The car is a weekend toy, driven once per week, never dragged, never tracked. Its just a toy for my amusement. I nail it once in a while and grin, thats all. I don't care about dyno # bragging rights, or ETs or reaction times, etc.

The one thing about this forum is most people will always encourage you to push things to the limits, and that is to be expected from an enthusiast forum... and there is nothing wrong with it. I was convinced initially that i HAD to get an IC or the heavens would come crashing down, lol. I'm just giving the guy another take on the matter. In the end, its his $, and only he knows what his expectations are or how he'll use the car. I've never said the intercooler was a BAD idea, I've just stated that he should consider his goals and expectations when he decides where to put that $1000+. Seems reasonable to me, and I happen to have the exact kit he's looking at, so all I can do is provide feedback about it...

By the way stealth, I do have a question into Brenspeed about the Snow Performance meth/water injection kit. I wouldn't be interested in re-tuning for more power (and I wouldn't want my tune relying on this thing either), however when its 110 degrees outside in the summer, a cooler intake charge wouldn't be a bad thing. At $439, it looks like a neat/fun DIY upgrade that is up my alley to install. http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=8

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-02-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

RE: Mudflap;

ditto on the whole power issue. I originally thought about going the whipple HO kit, but if I was only able to push 5-8 psi anyways, I might as well just get the vortech and for a hell of a price. I'll no doubt get the intercooler eventually though just for safe measures down the line. Breaking down the price between the SC unit and the intercooler upgrade is in itself a great value IMO. Pretty sure I'll be happy with 400whp , if that's not enough I'll just get the 4.10s but only after I have driven it to see how the stockers handle...

haven't thought about meth/alcky injection admitingly.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking pretty seriously about doing the meth injection if nothing else, because it sounds like a cool project. I posed a question to Brenspeed asking if I can leave my tune as-is (which I believe I can), and also if they had any reason to tell me NOT to use the kit. I've done some research today and so far it seems promising. This site claims the meth injection took their intake temps from 225-250 down to 135 after 1/4 mile passes. That is significant:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

Quick Reply: cams and vortech non-intercooled...