Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Requesting Advice on a 'possible' shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Nightshayd

Default Requesting Advice on a 'possible' shifting problem

Hello! This is only my second time posting here but I'm at my wits end, hoping ya'll can help me out.

I have a 2006 GT Automatic with an AIRAID intake and Flowmaster mufflers; otherwise it's a stock car. A problem I've encountered is at 60< MPH if you floor the gas pedal the car will downshift and the RPMS will rise, and the car just... doesn't respond for 3-4 seconds. After that time it will kick in and pull to greater speed.

I took the car to my dealership and they checked the transmission. Nothing's wrong they said. Taking the car back out the problem seems to be getting worse. At a cold start in park the RPM's will jump between 800 and 1200 until the car is put into gear (R or D). Also when crusing about 60ish or faster if you romp on the gas it will either respond as above (hesitate, then go) OR it will up shift and downshift 3-4 times before picking the lower gear and accelerating.

Taken back to the dealership they replaced the throttle body and the fuel pump. Problems remain. I'm tired of my dealership unable to tell me what's wrong. They're under the "Replace everything until she stops coming back" which is FRUSTERATING!

Upon the advice of a mechanic friend I dropped fuel injector cleaner into a tank of gas and it seemed to help slightly, but once that tank ran out the old problems were back.

Please help me if you can!

Perhaps Relevant Information-
Second owner of the car, it came from Montana (Go snow?)
Only used Chevron 91 Octane Gasoline
19,000 Miles
Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I'm not an expert on tranny's but I think that some of your problem might just be the drive by wire that ford used for the gas pedal. Because I know that pretty much everybody that's still basically stock has some lag time from when you actually floor the pedal and when you feel it working. I recommend that you get an tuner (either SCT or Diablosport) from a recommend dealer like brenspeed or bamachips. This will give you more power, basically eliminate throttle lag and improve you tranny's shifts.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. This is just how these cars are, probably due to the drive by wire system CBSTANG mentioned. With a tune you can speed that up quite a bit but I don't think it's possible to make it have no lag like you mention, which sucks. I have a Bamachip Race and Torque tune and while it has helped, it still has some lag when suddenly punching it while moving.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

get a Bamachips tune in that thing IMO 95% probability that solves your issues.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. This is just how these cars are, probably due to the drive by wire system CBSTANG mentioned. With a tune you can speed that up quite a bit but I don't think it's possible to make it have no lag like you mention, which sucks. I have a Bamachip Race and Torque tune and while it has helped, it still has some lag when suddenly punching it while moving.
Not to sound like an a$$ here, but I did say that it would, "BASICALLY eliminate throttle lag", and by "basically" I meant a hell of a lot better, but I did not that it would completely remove it. I mean obviously an automatic would still have to downshift itself when you punch the gas unlike a manual in which the driver knows when they want to downshift and chooses the gear (not counting shifting the automatic yourself), so there is gonna be a little "lag" time, but a tune would greatly improve it.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Nightshayd

First and foremost, Thank you for responding!

However, I know theres lag in the s197's, that's not what I'm complaining about. It's a visable, audible, raising of the RPMs, not like from 2,000 to 2,300, but 2,000 to 4,500 before there's any increase in acceleration. addtionally the car will downshift, then upshift, 3 to 4 times before it finally picks the lower gear to accelerate. Happens with the A/C on, with it off windows down, sunny day, rainy day, when I'm wearing a blue shirt, green shirt, etc.

I will be getting a tune but if it's the onboard computer that's fried I dont want to waste time, money, and energy on a bad chip to have it replaced later.

Thank you again for your input!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:21 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

TPS?? lol who knows.. I had the same problem with my old neon and it was the TPS sensor.
The rpms would rev, hover then go back down. One time it just kept revving all by itself. It was a 5 speed though.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

there are no "chips" for the S197 platform, you get a hand held tuner that can be used over and over again (with some work)

did the dealer check the torque converter?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Try changing the trans fluid. Sounds like it could be something with the valve body too. It is harder to tell with these cars because the computer controls the trans. It could be something mechanical or and electrical gremlin somewhere. Could even be a bad sensor.

Try a new dealership.