Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help! Broken Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Can you just use Aerokroil to clean the plugs when you get them out? Maybe scrub with a copper brush?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

OK, this thread just put the fear of changing my plugs now!!!!

I have an 2008 with 7K miles...not that I was planning on changing my plugs, but I like to know the details of maintenance items.

The only difference is that since my car is a Roush and the plugs are changed out...will I have this potential to break plugs with the Roush ones? I don't really know what kind of plugs they use.

Is this issue strictly with OEM Ford plugs or across the board due to the design?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Are you sure the Roush has different plugs? Not sure what a stage 3 means. If you have a blower then they have probably been changed. Otherwise probably not.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:09 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Stage 3 has the Roushcharger/blower... They said they change out the plugs and must use "Roush" plugs for replacement, otherwise warranty gets voided...

He is the link for the replacements: http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=479

Damn, they look to be 2-piece design... Who the hell came up with this design?

Last edited by AutoXRacer; 03-05-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Auto Racer
OK, this thread just put the fear of changing my plugs now!!!!

I have an 2008 with 7K miles...not that I was planning on changing my plugs, but I like to know the details of maintenance items.

The only difference is that since my car is a Roush and the plugs are changed out...will I have this potential to break plugs with the Rich ones? I don't really know what kind of plugs they use.

Is this issue strictly with OEM Ford plugs or across the board due to the design?

The champions are a 1 piece type and are no more prone to breakage than any old style plug. You can lube the crap out of a new set of OEM plugs with copper anti seize on the barrel only, but it is asking a lot for it to stay on there for another 100K miles.

Sorry, I think ford recommends nickle anti seize.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant.../tsb/06152.pdf

Last edited by GidyupGo; 03-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

So what is recommended in order to avoid this ordeal of breaking a spark plug; I've never encountered this is any other car...?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

That's because the cylinder head has a design problem and it's compounded by the fact the stock spark plugs are a two piece design that can't take a lot of torque when you try to twist them out. So they are prone to snapping off. Which can be a real PITA to deal with when it happens.

What is recommended? Remove them ASAP (preferably IMO before 20K miles) and follow the TSB. Put anti-seize on the electrode ground shield and then reinsert the plugs. Should be fine for a while. I wouldn't let them sit for 100K though as someone else mentioned. I'd pull them at least every 25K and reapply the anti-seize.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer
So what is recommended in order to avoid this ordeal of breaking a spark plug; I've never encountered this is any other car...?

Click on the highlighted area in my last post above yours for a step by step.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Damn, thats a real pain the a$$... I'll leave mine in there a little longer. Hoping Roush used some anti-seize when they replaced the plugs. Roush recommends a plug change at 25K miles or so...

I just can't get over how dumb this design is...

Thanks for all the help guys...
Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer
Damn, thats a real pain the a$$... I'll leave mine in there a little longer. Hoping Roush used some anti-seize when they replaced the plugs. Roush recommends a plug change at 25K miles or so...

I just can't get over how dumb this design is...

Thanks for all the help guys...

Many just wait till 100K miles. Then let the garage do them with the tools, or at least that's the plan. Pull the head(s) if they have to.

Quick Reply: Help! Broken Spark Plugs