Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

what did your forged bottom end cost you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Makes sense to me. Exactly what I would do.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

I've been really impressed by what people have been saying about Livernois. That is my first choice whenever I decide to go forged. I know they have some bad @$$ sets of heads too that would probably sound real nice with a big cam and forged bottom end all topped off with a whipple ok back to reality. sounds like a great company they'll definitely be number one on my list when i get the money to have fun with my car. Good luck with whatever you decide for your car!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

I fealt the same pain, 3 days after the blower...KABOOOOOOM!!! but any who I did the long block due to being in Germany. I would look at doing a stroker kit, I have the 302 assembly in mine and it is great. I got my motor built by johnny lightning performance. www.johnnylightningperf.com... good for a 1000hp
Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i have bought some parts and know what i should pay for the rest

JE forged pistons -17cc should give me 9.1:1
Diamond rings for boosted app.
manley h beam rods with arp 2000 bolts

i picked up rods,pistons,rings and bolts for $800 shipped.

im picking up a stock crank for $75

now i need main studs,head studs, head gaskets,rod bearings,crank bearings and machine shop to put it together.

main studs are around $200
head studs are $300
head gaskets are $180
rod bearings are $50
main bearings are $80

not sure what the machine shop will cost me yet.should be a little over $2k when its all done and put together.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Just for those that are curious BBR quoted me a build SB for $3k.

Going off memory but I think the specs were.

Manley rods and pistons, Stock Crank, prepped block.

Requires your core.

i might end up with that block as all I really want to do is run 14psi.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Just for those that are curious BBR quoted me a build SB for $3k.

Going off memory but I think the specs were.

Manley rods and pistons, Stock Crank, prepped block.

Requires your core.

i might end up with that block as all I really want to do is run 14psi.
one problem i found with most built shortblocks is they are iron blocks,and if you want to have an aluminum block you have to pay extra.maybe not all companies are like this but i know MMR is, i wanted to keep the lighter aluminum block.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:33 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Fact 1 - the iron block is 80 lbs heavier than the aluminum.

Fact 2 - MMR has had 6 built engine failures that I know within 3K miles of receipt.

Fact 3 - in all 6 of those instances I know of, the real nightmare came when dealing with MMR after

A couple things to note for you guys considering motors...

first is make sure your new motor comes with the GT500 oil pump and nothing else. It looks similar to the 3V pump except it says 'ford racing' on it. 4 motor failures have been a result of the stock pump blowing a part and it has been established as being weak.

Second, I admire all the 'love' for engine builders, but seriously only take the recommendations from people who actually have their product and have dealt with them. "I heard"... nonsense equates to squat IMO.

I am a Livernois fan because I have dealt with them for 4 years now.

Bottom line, if I was shopping for a motor, the ONLY places I would consider are Livernios, Boss 330, Fox Lake, or JDM.

I have no love for JDM and everyone knows it but I have to admit, when looking at the number of short blocks they have out there compared to failures, they have a good track record IMO. I also believe they learned from their mistake with me 3 years ago regarding how to properly make a set of heads. So, despite my ill will towards Jim Sr. (Jr. is great!) - I give them good marks...

I would not consider anyone else, if I'm honest.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:29 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
Fact 1 - the iron block is 80 lbs heavier than the aluminum.

Fact 2 - MMR has had 6 built engine failures that I know within 3K miles of receipt.

Fact 3 - in all 6 of those instances I know of, the real nightmare came when dealing with MMR after

A couple things to note for you guys considering motors...

first is make sure your new motor comes with the GT500 oil pump and nothing else. It looks similar to the 3V pump except it says 'ford racing' on it. 4 motor failures have been a result of the stock pump blowing a part and it has been established as being weak.

Second, I admire all the 'love' for engine builders, but seriously only take the recommendations from people who actually have their product and have dealt with them. "I heard"... nonsense equates to squat IMO.

I am a Livernois fan because I have dealt with them for 4 years now.

Bottom line, if I was shopping for a motor, the ONLY places I would consider are Livernios, Boss 330, Fox Lake, or JDM.

I have no love for JDM and everyone knows it but I have to admit, when looking at the number of short blocks they have out there compared to failures, they have a good track record IMO. I also believe they learned from their mistake with me 3 years ago regarding how to properly make a set of heads. So, despite my ill will towards Jim Sr. (Jr. is great!) - I give them good marks...

I would not consider anyone else, if I'm honest.

thanx alot, do you have a part number on that oil pump? i tihnk i hve found it for about $80 but i want to make sure.