Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

WHAT TYPE OF SYNTHETIC SHOULD I USE

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Snakebyte94

I've been using Amsoil for 17 years. The first Mustang I used it on was my 90 Coupe. I sold it with 98,000 miles on it back in 1995. The guy still has it with over 350,000 miles on it. I have used it in everything since. Gas & Diesel. Car, Truck, & Motorcycles.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
provofam
1st Gear Member

I went with Amsoil as I didn't mind spending a couple of more bucks for the better oil. I have only heard good things about it from friends and from other members on this forum.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default OIL

Want something very good - Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Want the very best - AMSOIL.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'd really like to see a test where you have two identical engines and put 250,000 miles on each of them. One running Amsoil, and the other Mobil 1 (or any other mainstream synth for that matter). I'd be willing to bet both engines would have the same longevity. Hell, I'd be willing to bet if you added a 3rd running nothing but regular dino oil that it would also last just as long. This is assuming the filters and oil are changed at reasonable intervals.

In the end, I guess put in whatever makes you sleep better at night...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I'd really like to see a test where you have two identical engines and put 250,000 miles on each of them. One running Amsoil, and the other Mobil 1 (or any other mainstream synth for that matter). I'd be willing to bet both engines would have the same longevity. Hell, I'd be willing to bet if you added a 3rd running nothing but regular dino oil that it would also last just as long. This is assuming the filters and oil are changed at reasonable intervals.

In the end, I guess put in whatever makes you sleep better at night...
I totally agree. I've owned 13 cars, 3 of which I've driven over 200,000 miles and 6 others over 150,000 miles, some on dino and some on synthetic. None used or burned oil and they were all comparably clean internally and ran fine. What I made bold in Mudflap's quote is the key: the proper oil change frequency for the oil type as modified by your "level of abuse".
Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'm with ya man. I think there is a ton of voodoo and mysticism around this subject, lol. Using a good quality filter is probably more important than the oil frankly. Any widely available certified oil on the market is likely to provide ample protection provided it, and the filter, are changed at the proper interval.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Part of the reason for the voodoo is that to get a real handle on wear you need to tear down engines. Just think of the implications. Like that consumer reports taxi cab study they did years ago. Those kinds of things are VERY expensive. And time consuming. And that's why noone does it.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah you're right, its all guesswork for the most part. I just have to fall back on my own experience. I've owned well over 20 cars in my life, over 1/2 were sports or at least high performance cars. I've used both dino and synthetic over the years and I just have no evidence to suggest that the synthetic ever made a bit of difference. Most of us probably don't put 300k on a car either, so who knows. I was running the Motorcraft blend as specified by Ford in my 07 and this 09 early on.

When I changed the oil for the first time after the blower was installed, I very reluctantly put Mobil1 in. Hell, as I was pouring it into the car I knew it was probably not going to make any difference. I only change my oil once a year though, so the cost difference just doesn't even matter on this one. I bought my car 6 months ago and it has 1800 miles on it.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Same here. I put pennzoil platinum in because it's a decent synthetic for a reasonable price. Like mobil 1. I thought about putting redline or amsoil in there but just couldn't justify the expense. You pretty much double the cost of an oil change if you go with a boutique oil.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I agree with you gents but I use Amsoil in the Stang only because I CAN at the moment. I use Mobil1 in my SUV which is also my tow vehicle and I'm still doing 8,000-10,000 mile oil changes on it, same as my other 2 SUV's that went over 200,000 miles with not a problem. I'd be putting M1 in the Stang if I was a bit more money conscious and I'd maintain my 8k-10k mile oil changes.

Quick Reply: WHAT TYPE OF SYNTHETIC SHOULD I USE