Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help! Engine troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
NemesisStang08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007VistaBlueGT
P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Performance (FRP) The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP pressure for acceptable fuel pressure. The test fails when the fuel pressure falls below or exceeds a minimum/maximum calibrated value for a calibrated period of time. High fuel pressure.
Low fuel pressure.
Damaged FRP sensor.
Excessive resistance in circuit.
Low or no fuel.
A FRP PID value during KOER of 138 kpa (20 psi) and 413 kpa (60 psi) for gasoline or 586 kpa (85 psi) and 725 kpa (105 psi) for natural gas vehicles (NG) is acceptable
Yeah....thats what i was kinda trying to get at.....just didnt know how to word it exactly like u did
Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thanks moose, hopefully he will be able to
find the problem....electrical gremlins can
get very frustrating at times.

Originally Posted by moosestang

You're a smart man.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
thanks moose, hopefully he will be able to
find the problem....electrical gremlins can
get very frustrating at times.
I could have just been less than half a tank and a steep mountain + WOT = low fuel pressure. This is why the whipple instructions suggest not using full throttle with less than 1/4 tank of gas.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
WhippledStang

First off, thanks for all the input.

I don't think that it was the air/fuel ratio that caused the problem due to the fact that I drive in the mountains all the time without issues. Plus with the supercharger running 10 psi I gotta figure that its getting enough air. I also never let it get near a quarter tank. I was in a buddy's car when he went under a quarter tank and experienced that. So Im very careful about that. Lastly, I wasn't really working it that hard. The gradient wasn't that steep and I wasn't going all that fast. It was actually a relaxed cruise. I have taken it up there before and really given it the stick and it worked just fine.

Around November of last year I was in the mountains and I experienced a similar problem and it turned out to be a combination of a bad spark plug, a lean condition on the right bank, and an issue with the wiring on the fuel pump. I was busy at the time so I paid to have that fixed and it ran like a champ till now. So im thinking it might not be a wiring issue since I already had that fixed. Im either going to investigate these issues myself, or take it to Ford and have them check it out (this is more likely since I don't have much time to work on it right now).

To answer some of the proposed questions:
- I did all the work myself with the install and I didn't have any issues for two months until the first problem in the mountains..
- The CEL code P0191 stands for Defective Fuel Pump, Defective Fuel pressure regulator, Replace fuel filter, or Replace fuel rail pressure sensor.
- The car has 6500 miles on it.
- I realize that Mustangs natural habitat are the straights, but I really enjoy the curvy bits. I had an Mitsubishi Evo 9 MR and I loved it. I lost one of my legs last March so I couldn't drive stick anymore and I wanted a change of pace. Thats when I got my Mustang. So Im used to thrashing a car around the curves and I have been attempting to recapture that with the Mustang.

I realize this is a long *** post and thanks if you have read all this. I just figured the more info I give the better you guys can understand where Im coming from.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 AM
NemesisStang08
1st Gear Member

haha....i gotta admit, i love curves too I mean...i havent seen any in Florida but whenever im in Puerto Rico i tear them apart, lol....its fun!!! As far as what could be wrong, im all outta ideas...sorry If i come up with any other ones, even if they r insane, ill post them 4 ya'
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well if you had a full tank then you can rule out the pumps sucking air, but even with a half tank and a curvy road it's possible with our type of fuel tank. I've never had any codes except the gas cap code, but the pump sucking air would set that code and none of the parts would be defective.

I'd suspect the work that was previously performed with the wiring. In my experience you have to do it yourself or pay for a halfass job. The Techs in Colorado might be better than here in Florida.