Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

E-force built-in MAP sensor working with Aeroforce gauges for boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Default E-force built-in MAP sensor working with Aeroforce gauges for boost

After wrapping up my supercharger install, I finally got around to installing my dual Aeroforce gauges using a SOS pillar pod. The pillar pod and gauge install was very simple as expected, but my goal was to use the built-in MAP sensor for measuring boost/vacuum in lieu of using a separate 2-bar sensor.

Edelbrock provided me the pinout information for the sensor (pin 1 - absolute pressure signal output in voltage, pin 2 - 5v reference). However, given the unique type of pins used in these connectors, I needed some unused pins with wire attached. This was accomplished by ordering Ford p/n 3U2Z-14S411-SSA (~$25), which is essentially the same connector that plugs into the sensor with 4 pins that have ~12in of wire attached. So it really only required routing 2 wires that spliced into the new pins... one back to the gauge and the other to a 5v reference. I decided to gamble a bit and tap into the fuel rail pressure sensor 5v (pin 2) instead of using a separate 5v regulator, but I did it the right way by stripping back insulation (about 2 in. back from the connector) and then soldering/heat shrinking the connection.

The biggest challenge of working with these connectors is figuring out how to release the wedge locks, after which you need to either use something small like a safety pin or a pin release tool (Delphi p/n 12094429) to allow for the pins to release from the connector. After going through this on multiple connectors during the supercharger install, I am now an "expert"

After pulling my hair out over the course of a couple weeks trying to make this work, and with Edlebrock's help, I finally determined the MAP sensor on the Supercharger was bad And as always, Edelbrock promptly sent out a replacement sensor at no cost :nice:

Now the boost readout is working great and made for a very clean install. This is yet another reason I am delighted with this Supercharger kit as this sensor is built-in and only requires a minimal investment/time if you have digital gauges like Aeroforce.

Here's the connector on the supercharger (notice the left 2 pins are open/unused)

Ford harness (3U2Z-14S411-SSA)

Wedge lock released (red inside area of connector requires lifting using a short curved pick)

Gauges Installed

Finished wiring fully integrated into the existing harnesses