Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Impressions after Underdrive Pulley install

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Default Impressions after Underdrive Pulley install

Hello again, everyone.

I wanted to share my opinion to anyone thinking of buying UDP's (Steeda's specifically). I had a shop install them on my car today. Funny thing was I was actually guiding THEM through the whole install, thanks to TacoBill's writeup. The install went without a hitch.

So here's my opinion on the Pulleys:
"Are they even on?"

I felt almost no difference whatsoever on the way the car responded or launched off a light. I'm sure even if you knew by heart the way your car behaves, the UDP's would probably just feel like someone put a really good batch of gas on your tank. Not worth the money, I believe.

I'm starting to second guess my decision, but the pulleys are in and what's done is done. Maybe if you are staying N/A and did absolutely EVERYTHING else to your engine, and had $200 laying under your couch's cushions; maybe then would I consider the UDP's worth it.

Analise and discuss.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:15 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I heard they are more noticable when installed at the same time with delete plates..
Old 05-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Oh the CMCV will be installed too, as soon as Bamachips updates my race tune.

Maybe he took the Memorial weekend off...

List of parts I ordered:
Steeda UDP
Steeda Billet CMCV (the more expensive ones)
Pacesetter LT ceramic headers
Pacesetter catted hpipe
Pacesetter axleback

Pacesetter didn't have any parts in stock so I received the UDP's and CMCV first.

Most people do what you said, they install both UDP's and CMCV at the same time, so they never tell what the UDP's alone feel like.
Like I said, didn't feel much at all.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Pale Horse
1st Gear Member

If you install 2 mods at once how could you possibly tell which one does what? Also, correct me if I am wrong but pulleys and delete plates really have nothing to do with each other, one is reducing parasitic loss and the other is increasing air flow to the engine....I wouldn't imagine that one would necessarily compliment the other. I am most definately NOT saying that they would work against one another by anymeans, I am just saying that the two mods would not need to be done together for any reason.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:27 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Acerbus,

I agree 100% I put them on, no difference, its a waste, like getting an x pipe. What, maybe 5HP at WOT? I look at it this way, if you do something to the engine, and it doesn't require a re-tune, (like UDP's), then its probably not making an impact on performance worthy of anything. IMO, of course!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Have you done gears, yet? You'll get more from a new ring and pinion than all of the above mods combined.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

No gears for now. I have yet to find a reputable trans. mechanic here in Puerto Rico. Most of the mechanics here are barely certified and make their livings changing brake pads and charging exorbitant fee's to women in SUV's. Sad but true.

I may go 4.10's in the future, but for now I'm concentrating on the hp improvements.

Took the time to create a sig.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Default Small update

I gotta take back some of what I said before.

I drove my beautiful baby this morning and decided to launch "Bat-outta-Hell"© style from a stoplight (no pedestrians, cops, or other traffic around), and what do you know; I did feel something different. The revs went up a tiny bit faster than usual and the rear tires were struggling more to keep traction.

So I guess they do have some effect; slight, but there.
(or maybe it was just that good, fresh morning air I love so much)

I still think they are not worth the money. If you can get yourself a set for like $80, then by all means, put those suckers in. Otherwise, save the money.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

good to know... I guess I will wait another week and just do pulleys and delete plates at the same time
Old 05-25-2009, 09:31 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus
(or maybe it was just that good, fresh morning air I love so much)
Cooler air does wake these engines up.

Quick Reply: Impressions after Underdrive Pulley install