Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help! Broken Spark Plug!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Riptide
It's not. That's why you pull them every so often and put the cheap anti seize on again if it needs it.

I'd rather just save the $75. Call me cheap.
You cheapo.....

I'd rather not have to pull em.
Call me lazy.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

So you're saying you have more time than money...fair enough.

that was directed to Riptide's comment

"It's not. That's why you pull them every so often and put the cheap anti seize on again if it needs it.

I'd rather just save the $75. Call me cheap."
Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yah I guess a 30 minute "repair" job every year or two isn't a huge issue to me. Going with a blower in a couple years anyway. At which point the plugs will be coming out.

I'll probably pull the stock ones again next summer and check them just to be safe. But I'd be shocked if I even put 10,000 miles on them in between now and then.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
So you're saying you have more time than money...fair enough.

that was directed to Riptide's comment

"It's not. That's why you pull them every so often and put the cheap anti seize on again if it needs it.

I'd rather just save the $75. Call me cheap."
Like they say "Time is Money"
Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Plugs?

I don't like the idea of pulling the plugs every few thousand miles, greasing them up and re-installing. I have read many posts where guys pulled the 2 piece plugs, applied anti-seize and put 'em back only to find they now have a miss. It seems these crappy plugs are very sensitive and a little bit of torque messes something up inside.
I'm on the side of yank 'em out, throw 'em away and put in a set of Champions and forget about 'em for 50K-75K miles. That's what I did a year and a half ago and never looked back. Over 20K miles and never missed a beat.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
fordracefan
1st Gear Member

Is this an issue on all '05-'09 mutangs?

Does the '08 have the two piece spark plug?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Every few thousand miles goldenpony? Overkill. Once a year at most is all you should ever have to pull those things. Or every 20k, whichever comes first.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

This happened to me. I had to buy the extractor to get them out. PM me if you want it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
MUSTANGGT06

Angry Update to the broken plug!

I am so pissed off about these plugs. After calling every local shop in town, they wouldn't touch em because they know about these crappy Ford plugs. I had to pay a $100 tow bill to get it to the Ford dealer and pay another $95 to have the one plug removed. I was just lucky that the porcelain and metal jacket didn't fall down into the engine. I called several Ford dealers and they all said that even their most experienced techs have broken plugs off in these new modular engines. It's not the cyclinder head, but the poor design of the plug. The problem is that carbon builds up around the metal jacket and they broke off at the porcelain inside the metal jacket during removal. I went to the web and found the Ford Service Bulletin on the removal of the plugs for the Mustangs, F-150's and ect. I followed it step by step and still the plug broke. The tech at the dealership said to purchase a special brand of Ford carbon removal and use it before trying to remove the plugs. I tried using PB blaster and it helps getting the threads loose, but it does nothing about the carbon. I'm surprised that there has not been a class action lawsuit about these plugs after going on line and reading some of the stories on these plugs breaking. It shouldn't have to cost $500 or more to just get the plugs changed or even worse if they get down into the engine. I also called the Ford Customer Complaint line and they acted as if I was the only one that this has every happened too.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default 2 piece plug nightmare

Been there, done that. What blows my mind is there are people on some of these sites that still say there's no problem. It's happened to me, it's happened to you. I could tell my tale of woe, but I've told it here before.
Hope everything comes out OK for you.

Quick Reply: Help! Broken Spark Plug!