Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bassani X Installed.. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Phantom07

Default Bassani X Installed.. Need Help.

So here it is. After a long day and a half of messing with these pipes, i finally got them installed. I talking, it was hard to install the actual x pipe because of hanger clearance issues. but i got it! Noticed there was some leakage of condensation so i retightened the clamps and.. no more dripping. So here comes the questions. First i took the car to meineke to check for leaks, because during acceleration i hear a tinging noise. Guy says, nope no leaks, its prob just the way the exhaust sounds.

1. does anybody have or had this same issue with Bassani catted x pipe?

2. this code came up on my xcal2 POL35 ox s HTR CIR 152. im guessing its my o2 sensor?

3. Seems like the car lost some torque. and i have 4.10s. when i accelerate it doesn't kick back, but it pulls. is this because it needs to be tuned along with all my other mods? its like the engine revs then catches a lil late.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Phantom07

Ok. heres what i found out. First of all. the brenspeed guys are great! they really help out the best they can. SO. the ting sound is just the sound of the new x pipe. now that back pressure is relieved, it doesn't feel as fast, but it is. and the code is my o2 sensors which i had turned on a while ago, so i just need to turn those back off.

Ok, heres what i learned. (I hope this helps some of you's who likes to DIY. THE RIGHT TOOLS IS CRUCIAL!! even though i bought a lot of tools from my past installation (MGW shifter) i still didn't have a few. Note* taking off factory H pipes will require 16mm deep socket rich, make sure you have a long extension. Make sure you lube the bolts, because i actually broke a piece off trying to disconnect from the manifold. Putting all the pieces together can be difficult, so one must have patience. esp if you dont have a lift. I had jack stands. which worked ok. In the long run, i did it! but it was tough.

Now my question is this. I have a 93 oct tune w all my mods from brenspeed. and the x pipes doesnt need a tune. Should i get a dyno tune? Brenspeed guys said that they are pretty spot on with there tunes, and getting a dyno wouldnt do much??? any opinons on this will be appreciated
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Phantom07

Ok. heres what i found out. First of all. the brenspeed guys are great! they really help out the best they can. SO. the ting sound is just the sound of the new x pipe. now that back pressure is relieved, it doesn't feel as fast, but it is. and the code is my o2 sensors which i had turned on a while ago, so i just need to turn those back off.

Ok, heres what i learned. (I hope this helps some of you's who likes to DIY. THE RIGHT TOOLS IS CRUCIAL!! even though i bought a lot of tools from my past installation (MGW shifter) i still didn't have a few. Note* taking off factory H pipes will require 16mm deep socket rich, make sure you have a long extension. Make sure you lube the bolts, because i actually broke a piece off trying to disconnect from the manifold. Putting all the pieces together can be difficult, so one must have patience. esp if you dont have a lift. I had jack stands. which worked ok. In the long run, i did it! but it was tough.

Now my question is this. I have a 93 oct tune w all my mods from brenspeed. and the x pipes doesnt need a tune. Should i get a dyno tune? Brenspeed guys said that they are pretty spot on with there tunes, and getting a dyno wouldnt do much??? any opinons on this will be appreciated
Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Shouldn't need a dyno tune because of an x-pipe. However, a dyno tune is supposed to be a good idea for any car regardless of mods.

I'm running an email tune.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

I'm running an email tune from BrenSpeed with Bassani's X as well. Runs fine w/o. any codes thrown.
I had the same sound from my pipes as well. Not a tinging, but the freer flow allows you to hear more from the engine. Bassani is also famous for their "exotic" sound, that plus the natural rasp from the X-pipe design is probably what you're hearing. My pipes have been on for a while and the tone has mellowed dramatically and I expect them to do so even more just like my axle-backs did as they break-in over time.

The pipes also showcase the differences between driving your car before it has had time to warm up, and driving after it has idled for a few minutes.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Phantom07

This is true. I notice that it sounds different as the car starts up, then when the pipes had time to warm up. I like the exotic sound. ITs growing on me. Its aggressive and i like the way it feels when driving. like a muscle car. I think i might change my cat backs sometime in the future. i have flow's thunder and they sound pretty good. no rasp, but i want a more louder exhaust. ANy suggestions to go with the bassani catted x?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

You could go with a turbo bullet style, which I've heard sound GOOD with the X-pipe, or you could get some muffler deletes. You could get rid of the cats too. There's always changing your manifolds to either short or long tube headers, that'd add some sound.

I'd keep an eye on your emission laws too, deleting mufflers and/or cats can be a violation, not too mention make it difficult to pass SMOG.

Last edited by DLZ314; 08-06-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Incomplete posting.