Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine breaking up, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

So I think I got it fixed! The last items I replaced were the factory COPs with Weapon X ones, and a new set of plugs, properly gapped this time. I never gapped the ones that came with the kit from breenspeed (HT-0s) cause I was told they come at proper spec, but when I asked this time was told they should be set at .032 to .035 max. However out of the box there much closer to .04 So I got that worked out figured I would upload the pics of the old ones, these are with 5k miles on them:

Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I know how you feel about wanting to do it yourself. Trouble these days is the diagnostic equipment is hella expensive and even with the knowledge to use it like a performance shop, you could still end up not finding the problem. The disturbing thing is no codes which leaves you scratching your head.

Those plugs looks pretty soaked for just 5K miles. I have a stock 08 S197 GT and when I replaced the two piecers with Champion one piecers at 12K miles they were clean as a whistle. I can't tell from the pick, but have you installed an oil-catch can? I'm thinking you're taking in oil from your PCV valve.

Slightly off-topic here but my wife's 06 escape just started exhibiting a similar thing to your car. I'm looking at the COPS and Plugs first. Only thing that really sucks about her truck is that three of the COPS and plugs are buried under the intake manifold so I have to remove it before I have access to either of them.

I'll end up running a primary and secondary resistance check on all six COPs to see if I find the bad COP (if that's the issue). Fuel injector is also a possibility. I'm hoping it's that easy. I've read up and the Crank Sensor can cause a misfire too.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Get a catchcan on that thing ASAP... Wow... thats pretty bad for 5K miles, even gapped at .4
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

already got a can on it ;-) though that was only added about 500 miles ago, apperantly too late!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Will DO! I know if I dont get it with the next round of stuff, I am beyond simply being a sensor and have either a bad tune or damaged a more serious part that needs to be replaced. Either one will get much more expensive quickly.

Quick question to anyone here, are the front and rear O2 sensors the same? I know they do not perform the same job but wondering if I can swap front with rear to see if I have a problem with one or the other.
I don't know about swapping front to back O2 sensors but I know you can go side to side. There is enough wire to move them and it only takes a few minutes.

Your O2s should only be damaged is you ran leaded fuel or ran extremely rich for a very long time.