Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Spark Plug Help Indianapolis Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Angry Spark plug Hell

Originally Posted by 8178A
Ford did the right thing and redesigned the heads and plugs part way through 08. My 09 has the new plugs and heads.
Yes. It's just a shame Ford left all us '05-'08 owners holding the proverbial bag of poo buy refusing to take responsibility for this world class screw up 2 piece plug. They should be taken to the wood shed for this.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:53 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Ford recommends they only be replaced every 100k, so I expect it should have little impact for 99% of the owners. It would have taken me 18 years to put 100k on my 07 and there was no way I was keeping it that long.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Ford recommends they only be replaced every 100k, so I expect it should have little impact for 99% of the owners. It would have taken me 18 years to put 100k on my 07 and there was no way I was keeping it that long.
Good to know that since I am looking to buy an 06 gt. Like you I put very few miles on my cars........less than 3k a year.

patrick
Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 PM
bullitt2086
1st Gear Member

how do i know if my 2008 falls in or out off the 2 piece spark plugs
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Ford did the right thing and redesigned the heads and plugs part way through 08. My 09 has the new plugs and heads.
It's good that they've corrected the problem. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM
J2L06GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bullitt2086
how do i know if my 2008 falls in or out off the 2 piece spark plugs
Look at the coils on plugs, if the rubber boot that goes down to cover plug
is brown you have new style plugs, if black old style plugs.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
bullitt2086
1st Gear Member

ok thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 PM
2Gils

This blows. I am not planning on changing mine anytime soon, but when I do, I will make sure I do it on a day that I in in a good mood so I do not put an axe through the hood!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Default Success!!

I was out of town until Tuesday evening, and when I got home the extraction tool was waiting for me. I was wore out from my trip, so I waited until this evening to tackle the job. Let me tell you, it could not have been easier! I don't know if it was because the broken plugs sat in Deep Creep for a week or what, but they came out like butter.

I started with the two plugs that didn't have the porcelain, because I figured they'd be easier and I wanted to get to know the tool a little. You start by putting the puller housing (a billet peice of aluminum) in the spark plug hole and then inserting the puller screw into that. Then you thread the puller screw into the ground tip until it's tight. I could already feel the tip rotating into in the head due to the Deep Creep, so I wasn't able to get as many threads in as you'd like. Then you put a hex nut on the outside of the puller tool and start turning. They came out like nothing. That nut is an odd ball 15/16", and I had to stack nylon washers in front of it to keep my socket from slipping off.

I moved on to the three that still had the porcelain in them, and here you have to use the pusher assembly first. I started with one that was broken well into the ground tip, because I figured it'd be the easiest. you basically thread the assembly into the spark plug threads and then screw the pusher into the porcelain pushing it further into the tip. It is set to stop before pushing it in too far and making a mess of things. It's pretty fool proof. I was then able to remove the pusher assembly and use the puller assembly without any issues.

The other two were slighly different in that I could hear the porcelain crunching as I pushed them into the tip. After a few turns I went ahead and removed the pusher assembly and used my wet vac with a 3/8" hose attachment to suck up the little broken peices of porcelain. This was an extra step, but I figured it was well worth it to make sure none of the porcelain ended up sitting on top of a piston. After that I reinstalled the pusher assembly and pushed until the tool was out of range and used the puller to finish the job.

They all came out very easily and the job including reinstalling the new plugs and coils took me less than 2 hours total. She started right up and the test drive was no problem. I couldn't be happier with this tool. Anyone in Indy that wants to borrow it be my guest. My one piece Champions with nickel anti-seize on the ground shield are installed, and I can rest easy now that I've got those POS two piece plugs out of there.

I know I said earlier that I should have just left the old plugs in there, but I'm glad I did it and got it over with now. Ford Dealers are ripping people off if they are charging for more than 2 hours for this job. I wonder why people call them stealerships. I dare someone that works at a dealer to defend this BS.

Good luck if you're reading this thread for research.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Great job RobertJ. Good write up too.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Help Indianapolis Area