Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Spark Plug Help Indianapolis Area

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Default Spark Plug Help Indianapolis Area

While following the TSB in removing the spark plugs I still managed to break 5. I've got 3 with the porcelon still in there and 2 with just the grounding sleeve. If anyone in the Indianapolis area has the extraction kit, I'd like to rent/borrow it from you. I may end up buying it myself, and if that's the case please let me know if anyone on the forum needs it.

The thing that really pisses me off is that I've got an extended warranty, and Ford still told me I was on my own. This whole mess deserves a class action law suit to be honest. I may never buy another Ford product again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I feel your pain. I went to change my OE plugs at 38K and the second plug snapped. I followed the TSB to the letter. I had her trucked to the dealer where their "best engine man" broke off 5 more, so I'm still ahead of you by 1.
I got a bill for for about $650. I pissed and moaned to the dealership owner and to Ford and eventually got a complete refund, but I wouldn't bet on that happening again - ever!
When I got my car back, I immediately pulled the brand new Motorcrap plugs and installed a set of 1 piece Champions. It's been over 20K miles and the car has never missed a beat and I never looked back. Good luck.
PS: watch for those posts from the guys that still don't think there is any problem with the 2 piece plug from Ford. I agree, there should be a class action suit.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

I ended up ordering the LISLE 65600 tool. It looks like a pretty good solution. I also formally complained to the Ford ESP program, but I doubt it does any good. I'll chime in after I use the tool and let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

please do RobertJ, i'm thinking about ordering one
also, just to have around for future use.

Originally Posted by RobertJ

I'll chime in after I use the tool and let you guys
know how it turns out.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:13 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Got a response from Ford ESP:

"Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the ESP coverage on the spark plugs in your 2006 Ford Mustang.

We apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused you; however, I have reviewed your situation with your dealership. At this time no assistance will be provided. According to the terms and conditions of your plan that you purchased, the reasons for denial provided to you by the dealership is correct. If you feel you require further explanation of this decision, please speak with the Customer Relationship Manager/Service Manager of the dealership.

We understand how frustrating this experience has been for you. Ford cares about each and every customer thus we have made every effort to address your concern. We apologize if we have not met your expectations."

I wonder why American manufacturers are losing customers to imports and will continue to do so? If a compnay doesn't have the ***** to admit when they are wrong and make it right then they don't deserve to be in business. At any rate, this Mustang will be the last Ford I'll ever own. I'll report back after the tool arrives, and I give the extraction a shot. For those of you that are resisting the urge to touch those plugs, I salute you.

BTW, an American automobile company that had it right sadly fell by the wayside this week. Farewell Saturn...

Last edited by RobertJ; 10-02-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Actually, AUDI had a similar instance (though quiet) several years ago. In their sheduled maintenance it stated no maintenance required for 100,000 miles. Guess what, people weren't even changing their oil becuase they felt it also covered the oil change. So a ton of people started to have engine failure due to engine sludge. Many Audi owners were stuck having to buy new engines and pay out-of-pocket. Audi didn't change their warranty policy until they rewrote the guidelines and clarified that point.

Also, the BMW 330I has a low to the ground CAI from the factory. If you go thorugh a puddle that's deeper than a few inches you can suck water into the intake and hydrolock your motor (read requires motor replacement) that's not covered under warranty even though the design of the CAI is what caused it. One of the guys I work with had to deal with that last year. To top it off, his insurance would only cover repairing the engine, not replacement. Under BMW warranty guidlines if the engine is merely repaird after catastrophic failure they void the remaining warranty.

The list goes on and on. It's not just Ford.

As far as saturn is concerned, They were toast back in 2007 when GM stopped allowing Saturn to have it's own unique lineup. Since 2007 the saturn lineup has been nothing but rebadged Chevy cars. A very stupid move.

Last edited by Derf00; 10-02-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

It's not a warranty issue just a bad design by Ford and we the end user has to eat it. Ford released a TSB which still doesnt work for everyone and to CYA a recall on Fords behalf. To me the release of a TSB should fix the issue it was written for. Its BS if you ask me. There has to be something we all can do to adjust the cost for those who are not so mechanically inclined.
I am such a lucky individual to own an 04 F150 5.4L and my mustang. I refuse to pay any money for spark plug replacement.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
2Gils

Originally Posted by RobertJ
While following the TSB in removing the spark plugs I still managed to break 5. I've got 3 with the porcelon still in there and 2 with just the grounding sleeve. If anyone in the Indianapolis area has the extraction kit, I'd like to rent/borrow it from you. I may end up buying it myself, and if that's the case please let me know if anyone on the forum needs it.

The thing that really pisses me off is that I've got an extended warranty, and Ford still told me I was on my own. This whole mess deserves a class action law suit to be honest. I may never buy another Ford product again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Any idea what years this occurs on?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 AM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

2004+ with the three valve V8s. This would include all of our 2005+ Mustangs. An interesting question is I wonder if Ford has gotten the idea that it needs to start applying the TSB during assembly. I doubt they have that level of collective intelligence, but it's always nice to dream.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:17 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Ford did the right thing and redesigned the heads and plugs part way through 08. My 09 has the new plugs and heads.
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug Help Indianapolis Area-2009-head-sprkplug.jpg  

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Help Indianapolis Area