Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 01:20 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I'm sure you're right, you don't actually HAVE to have a separator when NA, but these engines seem to have quite a bit of oil in the PCV stream. Getting this oil, or most of it, out of the air being put into the intake manifold has to be beneficial. I wonder if that isn't where a good bit of the carbon that cements the plugs into the heads comes from. I know a lot of Mustang owners (myself included) complain about occasional clouds of blue smoke on start up. Oil separators reportadley get rid of this too. I've seem pics of the butterfly plates in the heads with baked-on carbon that can only come from this oil. To me, it's a $100 improvment that I think can only help my engine. It is easy to install, looks good and from what I read, it works. Just my $.02.
With a NA engine, there should be minimal oil in the PCV stream, as there should be very little blowby. Even in high horsepower supercharged applications and modern engines there is very little blowby in the beginning of the engine's life cycle. I won't say that it doesn't help, as I have seen pictures of your oil catchers and have seen the little bit of oil in some of the cans. I am going to guess most of the baked on carbon is from use of regular dino oil. Synthetic oil has better heat transer qualities than dino oil, therefore, doesn't bake to the internals like dino does. There was a recent post on here about dino vs synthetic oil. A pair of engines with 100k miles or so each were tore down. Engine A had ran dino oil and had been changed at regular intervals and had the usual buildup and stains here and there. Engine B had synthetic oil changes and was clean on the inside. No deposits, no stains, no buildup.

I guess if it gives you peace of mind, then go for it. I was just curious, as I have seen very few used in high horsepower setups, and I, personally, have never used one in any build.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IWinULose
With a NA engine, there should be minimal oil in the PCV stream, as there should be very little blowby. Even in high horsepower supercharged applications and modern engines there is very little blowby in the beginning of the engine's life cycle.
S197s create a fairly significant amount of blowby. When I installed my whipple, I pulled the stock upper intake off and oil dripped out of the runners. When I removed the throttle body, I found that the blades were soaked in oil. With almost 11psi, I get a couple of tablespoons in the catch can every 1,000 miles.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM
jodadejss06gt
1st Gear Member

I pulled off my throttle body the other day, i'm N/A too, and had oil all over the back side it. I wiped around the inside of the intake manifold too and had some nast oily residue all over the rag. It was tan just like the oil I just put in it. Mobil 1 5w20 ofcourse.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Do you have to clean or empty these catch cans and if so how often?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

When I saw the crap those two hoses dump into my intake that did it for me. I just bought the Steeda kit because it is see through and is pretty small. At the moment both sides of my 05GT are vented into the atmosphrere through valve cover breathers. I'll install the kit this weekend.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Elspa
1st Gear Member

if you're running SC it's best to convert to a breather system or a breather/catch tank combo
Old 05-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

I installed my seperators a few days ago. It is two Steeda units and vented into two breather filters.

Passanger Side

Driver's side

Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Elspa
1st Gear Member

I'm running a procharger and I kept having a little oil in the supercharger intake, even though I had an oil catch tank.

What I did is convert it into a breather/catch tank and no oil since then.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Elspa
I'm running a procharger and I kept having a little oil in the supercharger intake, even though I had an oil catch tank.

What I did is convert it into a breather/catch tank and no oil since then.

I agree totaly. When I saw the garbage in my intake that was it for me, I vent mine through filters too. Tree huggers can go ... well you know.