Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Default Roush Supercharger

So I am going to add a supercharger to my car within the next year. I like the ford racing supercharger (is that the whipple?) and the roush supercharger. Both that I want are the 400hp versions. I was looking online and saw that many people were only able to run 4.7 0-60 and 13 flat 1/4 miles. Is this really true that adding 400hp to these cars will only do this or are these just poor drivers? I looked online at the 427R because I assume the only major engine components changed are included in the supercharger kit, plus the cat back exhaust? I would love some input on this for this is the first car I will do this major of a modification too.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:13 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lax07
So I am going to add a supercharger to my car within the next year. I like the ford racing supercharger (is that the whipple?) and the roush supercharger. Both that I want are the 400hp versions. I was looking online and saw that many people were only able to run 4.7 0-60 and 13 flat 1/4 miles. Is this really true that adding 400hp to these cars will only do this or are these just poor drivers? I looked online at the 427R because I assume the only major engine components changed are included in the supercharger kit, plus the cat back exhaust? I would love some input on this for this is the first car I will do this major of a modification too.
I am planning on the 435hp Roushcharger early next year. I think it will be plenty. I am pretty sure the issue with not breaking into the 12's is all about traction, not power.

I have the really sticky BFG KDW's and with the new LCA's the car bites really hard. I think the biggest issue is guys lower the cars or even the 427R and if you do not use an LCA relocation kit, the LCA will tend to push up or lift the rear a bit, thereby creating less traction. Of course with the right tires it may not matter too much, but it is all a system. If you lose a little through the tire grip and lose a little through the LCA's you will not break into the 12's.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

the guy that tuned mine dropping this in next

Old 12-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

what kind of engine is that?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:19 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

that i am not 100%on, it's a ford , pushing almost 1,000 hp i believe, sorry
Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Yep, that'll getter done....
Old 12-12-2009, 05:57 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Yes the whipple is the "Ford racing" supercharger. Both the roush and whipple will be around the same power wise. Most ppl seem to go with the whipple. With traction you should be able to dip into the 12's.... And i'm pretty sure thats the ford GT 5.4 motor
Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 AM
ksguy73

I am also planning on going FI in the next year or so. When I was talking to the dealer comparing the Ford Racing and Roush I decided on the Roush because you get 35 more hp and the warranty is better with the Roush. The Ford Racing only gives you 1yr/12K miles if installed after you take delivery of the vehicle and the Roush gives you 3yr/36K miles. Granted it is not truly 3/36 and runs out when your vehicle hits 3/36 total, not from the time you have the supercharger installed. They both run out at 3/36 so I still get more warranty time with the Roush.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:44 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Don't know why anybody would choose the FRPP over the Roush. The Roush unit is superior all the way around. It is true plug and play (no wire splices). The Roush unit comes with an intercooler standard, the FRPP does not.

The Roush unit is far better for this range of boost.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

It all depends on your long term goals. While both of these kits put down similar power, the Roush is very limited on top end potential, whereby the FRPP could easily be intercooled down the road. And since you are going to be spending ~$5K for either kit ( a little more for the FRPP), why not spend another $500 and get something with a lot more potential.

I may never push mine much past its current power level, but it is running super safe with 422RWHP and I only spent about $700 more than that Roush.

Quick Reply: Roush Supercharger