Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2010 GTs -- You got the tick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:00 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I get great pleasure out of pissing people off and getting them to laugh at the same time... unless the guy is my boss and laughing because he just fired my azz.
I just copied and saved this.....it's a great quote!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:29 AM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

motor is fine the ticking is def coming from inside my head
Old 03-13-2010, 04:29 PM
M7MDGOTHICA
1st Gear Member

i ve noticed a tick that happens around every 5 seconds but its only on when i have the AC on
u cnt really hear it unless you have the windows down and no music
Old 03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

That tick is the ac compressor, you will hear that most all the time no matter whether the ac/heater is on.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 PM
M7MDGOTHICA
1st Gear Member

so its normal ?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Mine has "chain lash rattle" when you first start it, the ac compressor "thunk" a few seconds later, injector "tick" all the time, "gear rattle" from the trans if you launch it without enough throttle and engine knock if you really lug it (ie almost stall it) when launching. I consider them all normal.

Its a mechanical device. We dont need things like heavy hood liners or overweight dual mass flywheels just to cover up normal mechanical noises. Noises over loss of performance!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

I wanted to circle back on this for those who have the "tick."

To rehash the details on my car, I had what sounded like a lifter tick coming from the top, driver's side of the engine. I was (am) unsure on whether the source was lifter or injector. Most thought it was normal, or at least would be treated as such if I took it to the dealer -- something I tended to believe, too. Even if it did annoy me.

On a hunch, I bought some 'Lucas Oil' Fuel Injector Cleaner/lube. It's a 5.25 oz bottle and costs about $5 at Autozone. The bottle also says it's an "Upper Cylinder Lubricant."

I poured it into a near empty tank and filled up with premium fuel. Within 2 days (and about 1/4 tank of gas used), the tick appears to be gone. Don't get me wrong, the injector rails are still loud as hell and still detract from the sound of the car when at idle. But now, the noise is the same on both sides of the engine -- just injector rail "slap." I no longer have the "lifter-esqe" tick from the driver's side.

I don't know whether the tick was lifter or injector, but it's gone now. Further, I don't know if the tick will return once I fill back up with gas and no "Lucas Oil." But, for those with the tick, I would recommend spending the $5 and seeing if this works.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM
overlord

Default is this the noise?????

just wanted to post a video of the "tick" or noise that I hear with the hood open. Is this the 'normal' ticking that people are referring to, because it is driving me crazy!!!!

Trying to get peace of mind on this, some people on line state this is normal for Mustangs.

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MVI_1365.flv
Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Yea, that's the one. Its considered normal. It really sounds like crap when you go through drive-thru and the sound reverberates off the building wall.

What you hear mostly is the fuel injectors opening and closing . . . though these engines are known to have some lifter tick.

With mine, I can even hear it under acceleration between thee 2000-3000 RPM range (especially under load) if I listen really closely and mentally tune out the exhaust sound. I took a Ford Tech for a ride the other day, as I was worried it was beyond "normal" if I could hear it under acceleration. However, it's faint enough that he couldn't even hear it as I was replicating the sound.

You can try the Lucas Oil that I mentioned above -- got modest results with that. I think the total fix will be a louder exhaust .

Last edited by cidsamuth; 04-15-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Listen to GeneK. He speaketh truth.

Quick Reply: 2010 GTs -- You got the tick?