Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

NEED HELP OVERHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
05PONY-GT-SUPERCHARGED

Angry NEED HELP OVERHEATING

I have a 05 procharged gt great car other than this sudden overheating problem. Ive changed the radiator the stat, waterpump, flushed and burped the system many times, new cht head sensor, the fan i think does not kick on right i grounded it then touched the battery and it turned on so it works. All fan fuses are new. I really dont know what step to take next
Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Are you getting any codes? That's always helpful.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Does the car start to overheat as soon as you start it or after it warms for a while?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 AM
05PONY-GT-SUPERCHARGED

I dont have a diablo or anything of the sort i bought the car supercharged and i never got the tuner. I was told without that specific tuner i can never run codes or switch my tune. It takes about 35 to 45 minutes to overheat no matter if ur driving or ideling, once it overheats it pukes all over from the over flow. Thanks for the help i really need it lol!!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

what tune are you running? excessively retarded timing will raise EGT's and coolent temps a lot. part throttle cruising you should be around 40 degrees of timing or so. if you're in the 20's you'll drive the temps up and have problems.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So is the temp gauge in the red? First thing is make sure the over flow cap is sealing. Is it just spewing coolant out the cap or is it actually over heating?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 AM
05PONY-GT-SUPERCHARGED

The car was programed with a diablo that i didnt get with the stang. I was told without that exact tuner i could not tune my car with another tuner is this true? I dont even know the tune im running. Also yes it goes in the red then sprays all over. Its good for half a hour then slowly creeps up over the next 5 minutes then goes red. I think my fan timing is screwed up and im also going to upgrade my fan.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

easiest way to see if your fan is working is to turn on the AC. if turning on the AC doesn't kick on the fan then that may be your problem.

as far as I know (I'm a newb with the tuners) you can reflash your ECU as much as you want. typically you want to download your stock tune into the tuner just in case you ever want to go back to stock if you had to go to the dealer or something. it's also good to have just in case you had an error with your new tune and it didn't work, at least then you can go back to stock and the car will still work.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

oh yeah, don't go into boost if you don't even know what tune is in your car!

even if you have to buy a whole new tuner and a tune from one of the reputable venders on here it's cheaper than a new motor! who knows what the car is doing in boost on the tune that's in there and you're already having problems. all it would take is a little too much timing to pown something, not worth it!

Quick Reply: NEED HELP OVERHEATING