Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

NEED HELP OVERHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 AM
05PONY-GT-SUPERCHARGED

I dont know the boost or hp tq numbers. I dont have the original tuner, Did not come with car. It was tuned with a diablo. I dont know if i can plug in another tuner now; if it will work, without the tuner i cant get codes. Do you think the new fan will fix it?? Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05PONY-GT-SUPERCHARGED
I dont know the boost or hp tq numbers. I dont have the original tuner, Did not come with car. It was tuned with a diablo. I dont know if i can plug in another tuner now; if it will work, without the tuner i cant get codes. Do you think the new fan will fix it?? Thanks for all the help.
No one here can tell you what will fix it until we know what is wrong. At this point, you might as well have not posted anything.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 AM
05PONY-GT-SUPERCHARGED

I was just trying to get help i dont know what is wrong with it nor do the garages in ****ty hawaii lol. I guess im going to change the fan and hope for the best ill post results. I do appreciate the input im a newb with cars i work on bikes its alot different lol!! Thank You
Old 03-30-2010, 05:30 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I was just trying to get help i dont know what is wrong with it nor do the garages in ****ty hawaii lol. I guess im going to change the fan and hope for the best ill post results. I do appreciate the input im a newb with cars i work on bikes its alot different lol!! Thank You
You are in the military stationed in Hawaii, has to be Oahu.

There are a few Hawaiian members on this site. Maybe they can point you to a place that knows something about procharged Mustangs.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I have a 05 procharged gt great car other than this sudden overheating problem. Ive changed the radiator the stat, waterpump, flushed and burped the system many times, new cht head sensor, the fan i think does not kick on right i grounded it then touched the battery and it turned on so it works. All fan fuses are new. I really dont know what step to take next
Okay, I'm going to try and put some info here for you to think about.

First off, regardless of anything else, you need to atleast know what codes the vehicle has. You absolutely need to have a tuner when you have FI on your car. Go get a tuner and pull the codes.

Second. You have never described what "overheating" is. It can be many things

1. Overheats while normally driving in stop and go traffic.

This is most likely a fan, pump or radiator cap issue. To rule out the cap you should be able to feel pressure onthe hoses going into your radiator and no fluid should be coming out.

2. Overheats while excellerating at wide open throttle.

Could be fan, water pump or anything else that has todo with your heating/cooling circuit. To rule out the pump, take the pump off and spin the outside pulley which will make the impellor move. If this is confusing, by a Chilton's manual and it has detailed instructions. The water pump on our car is very very easy to take off.

This also could be from too much hot air going into the motor from the supercharger. Your intercooler will cool the air if you are moving.

3. Over heats while idleing.

Check your fan. If your fan starts up immediately upon starting your car on a cold start, look at your temp guage. Your fan is only programmed to turn on when it gets to the predetermined temperature. If it is on immediately, it's not aproblem withthe fan most likely, but rather the wireing to the fan or the signal that goes to the wiring in the fan.

The cylinder head temp sensor can have the wireharness damaged, causing your car to think it is overheating when it's not. The symptoms would be the following: fan turns on immediately when you start the car and it is COLD-which you haven't driven it in several hours OR your temp gauge goes to overheating immediately and the wrench light comes on and the gauge turns red. This is most likely your cylinder ehad temp sensor. You should have CELs and the wrench light, but not neccesarily both.

4. Overheats during extended driving.

Most likely low on coolant, bad fan, corroded colling sytem, clog or other problem.

If you want us to help, and want some insight as to what could be wrong. Don't type a grammatically unclear retarded rant from your I-phone. Be accurate, complete with fluid loss, smells, driving behavior of the car and what you were doing just prior to the overheating. Tell the story.

This is my final olive branch. I have given numerous opurtunities for you to be specific and you haven't. I have dealt with this issue and can help. Hopefully.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

BTW most auto parts stores will read codes for free.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:07 AM
05PONY-GT-SUPERCHARGED

Thanks for all the help i just got a Chilton's manual best thing ever made!! Trying to get the car lingo down, this car is alot of upkeep for a newb with FI!! I really appreciate all the help!!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Find out what is wrong before you go throwing parts at it. The chiltons manual will be your friend.