Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

just had a FRPP supercharger kit and warranty chat with FRPP

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if you are getting boosted, dont waste your time on a small time blower
get something that has room to grow as your greed for power grows as well
the roush m90 is a waste of time and money IMO
the roush TVS or whipple is a much better option
if you are going FI, you better plan on replacing stock parts sooner rather than later
thats just the name of the game
Old 03-22-2010, 08:49 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Not having to replace the bottom end is one of the big reasons i am seriously thinking about the roush. There are pulley upgrades that will give the blower all the boost the bottom end will handle. After the 6yr 60k warranty is up i can add something else, though i figure i will have traded the car in well before that happens. i know there are kits that will offer more than the m90 can put out. That said, i am not going to race the car hard core. I might go the the strip a few times, so some autox, maybe a few track days. mostly i will simply romp on it around town every now and again. I don;t think for the fun i am looking for i necessarily need to go with the whipple or anything else.

i can upgrade the M90 if i want down the road with pulleys and a tune and for now i can enjoy my warranty without worry that bottom end will detonate. I want power, but i don't; want to have to worry each time i fill up that a bad tank of gas will kill the motor either. the more i look i am really leaning towards the roush, price is good, makes plenty of power for me now, keeps the warranty. it might not be as upgradable in the future, but the warranty is a big deal to me and i can get this installed for less than the whipple kit. IDK, still haven't talked to my dealer about the whipple kit they want to deal on. We shall see how it all shakes out. No firm decision made yet, but the roush m90 is looking pretty good to me right now. In all honesty i seriously doubt i have this car in 4 years, much less when the warranty expires. I'm figuring that by the time the redesign comes around i will be ready for a trade in on the new car, assuming it looks good. In the mean time i want to have some fun with it.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Shane,

According to Whipple only two motors have blown while using the FRPP/Whipple tune. Both were driven before installing the gt500 fuel pumps and went lean. That's it, just two both due to improper/incomplete install.
Were those vehicles running the 5psi pulley which is safe to run without the gt500 pumps and intercooler?

Originally Posted by BruceH
I put 436 to the wheels with a 8 lb. pulley and the frpp tune on the stock block. Super conservative. Like you I was concerned about putting a rod through the block and didn't turn it up until I built a forged bottom end. The stock tune will handle pulley sizes from 3.675 to 3.125" without adjustment.
Did you ever run the non-intercooled kit? And are you saying I could get the intercooled kit but not have to run the 10psi pulley on it (I'm worried because with 10psi it will be over 450rwhp and I have heard thats out of the safety zone for the motor. Were you running the HO tune or the non-intercooled tune?

Last edited by Lax07; 03-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lax07
Were those vehicles running the 5psi pulley which is safe to run without the gt500 pumps and intercooler?

Did you ever run the non-intercooled kit? And are you saying I could get the intercooled kit but not have to run the 10psi pulley on it (I'm worried because with 10psi it will be over 450rwhp and I have heard thats out of the safety zone for the motor. Were you running the HO tune or the non-intercooled tune?

I asked the dealer that exact question, he said as long at you use the FRPP tune with that 550 kit, don't worry about the motor. I took that to mean the tune was safe even though it was a bit over the suggest max aroudn here. He said the kit was designe dfor stock motors, presumably they wouldnt make it hotter than the bottom end could handle.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

550 is the new crank output figure for the new gen2 IC kit.

It's around 500whp which is yes, skirting the danger zone, with a stock motor. I don't know how much boost the gen2 kit uses to achieve these results. Lethal Performance doesn't indicate that in their product description.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

I just called up roush and talked to them about the M90. Teh guy was cool and very informative about the superchargers and the stang in general. I didn;t know that roush has worked a lot with ford on the advanced powertrain, they basically helped ford design the bottom end with enough strenght to handle boost and enthusiasts (take that with a grain of saly, teh guy is a Roush employee). anyway, he siad that roush figures the stock bottom in end safe to 480whp, above that you are hit and miss. soem guys are fine at 550, some die at 450 you know how it is.

the m90 has a fantasitc warranty. i take the car to any ford dealer if i need work, they either turn in a claim to roush if teh part caused any powertrain issues, or ford pays for it if it is not releated to the blower. i don't have to do anything different. Once the 3/36 expires there is a cold air kit for the M90 that puts the car in teh 450-460 whp range so they say, but it voids the warranty form roush. Guess that is too close to the line for them. Anyway, 450 is the number i had in mind anyway so I am leanign mroe and more to the m90. I don't plan on trying to ramp things to a huge power number like i said. i found a local roush certified installer (and by local i mena 5 miles down teh road) that will install for $600, i could be out the door for $5K with the roush kit.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i am running the HO kit gen 1 with a 3.5" pulley seeing 7 psi and 448 rwhp
for the street i set the rev limiter so it only hits 415 rwhp

when you talk to someone from a dealership, do they actually have a SC'd mustang
or are they speaking from book knowledge?

Quick Reply: just had a FRPP supercharger kit and warranty chat with FRPP