Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

auto/S197+ boost, beware...

Old 05-01-2010, 08:50 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

when i get on mine like that, i'll be in WOT in 4th and turn OD on and get back on it hard...the ecu will drop it back down into 4th for me and not let me go into OD.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronniegibson1978
when i get on mine like that, i'll be in WOT in 4th and turn OD on and get back on it hard...the ecu will drop it back down into 4th for me and not let me go into OD.
wish mine did that...
Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Sorry dude we were just talkin about this stuff A couple days ago. now you can try that Level 10 rebuild kit maybe. Good luck in the future.-
Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daryl06
Sorry dude we were just talkin about this stuff A couple days ago. now you can try that Level 10 rebuild kit maybe. Good luck in the future.-

thanks for the support.

which thread? I'd be interested in reading. My tranny is fine.. it's the motor that took a crap.

I understand how things are supposed to be relatively safe with the autos/boost and at the track, but those are still bursts of speed from 0-110+. In the real world, were speed fluctuates and it's not always from those numbers, anything can and will happen. I am still going back to 3.31s mmmmaaaayybe 3.73s, I am still suffering from blown motor hangover.

It sucks my motor blew due to something like this, but at least I'll know what NOT to do in the future...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your motor. Are you thinking about puting on the new frpp instake? Wanted to say though seriously consider the 3.73's. The drop to 3.31 from 4.11 is pretty steep and the 3.73's have been alot of fun for me. Ive only been to 110 but she still feels like she's pulling pretty good when I let off at that speed.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

So let me get this straight.

We have a stock motor that blew up @ 400whp with a vortech non IC and a brenspeed tune?

Was this an e-mail tune or a dyno tune? And is it normal for you auto guys to run your cars with OD off like that? I've never read of anyone doing that before.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Ya I know what you blew.We were on a thread called"10 PSI on a Automatic" In 4.6 General Discussion
Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

It was always my understanding that going FI with the stock Auto tranny was risky for a number of reasons. I never had the reason to look into it (I'm a 3 pedal man) but wasn't one of the reasons something to do with the way the tranny dumps the vacuum to momentarily reduce motor power during shifting? I wonder if the change in motor momentum during that shift at 6k, into a tall gear, was a stretch too far.

Of course, full boost in top gear (OD) is usually a no-no anyway, the forces in play on the rotating assembly are incredible in that scenario. I never WOT in 5th - ever.

Auto tunes are definately different to manual tunes on the same motor, I know that a lot of the smaller tuners are not very good at them. Lidio is famous for producing one of the most reliable auto tunes out there.

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 05-02-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:02 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
Sorry to hear about your motor. Are you thinking about puting on the new frpp instake? Wanted to say though seriously consider the 3.73's. The drop to 3.31 from 4.11 is pretty steep and the 3.73's have been alot of fun for me. Ive only been to 110 but she still feels like she's pulling pretty good when I let off at that speed.
nope, no fancy intakes. I might not even put the vortech back on. I may just put the C&L Racer intake/tune and run it like that for this summer and be happy I still have a ride lol
I'll put it back on eventually, only when I get a air to air intercooler and dual bypass valves per paxtons directions. 110 might feel like it's pulling, even with the 4.10s, but trust me. It really does drop off rapidly after that, even with boost. The only way to get it to pull harder in the final gear was to shut off the OD and force the gear into the redzone ( you can see where that got me, so please don't do it lol)

Originally Posted by Riptide
So let me get this straight.

We have a stock motor that blew up @ 400whp with a vortech non IC and a brenspeed tune?

Was this an e-mail tune or a dyno tune? And is it normal for you auto guys to run your cars with OD off like that? I've never read of anyone doing that before.
Yup. Maybe even less hp. Canned tune, not a dyno tune. I honestly think most people don't mess with the OD at all. I could have been safe and not even messed with it. I just couldn't help it because the difference in pull is staggering...

Originally Posted by Daryl06
Ya I know what you blew.We were on a thread called"10 PSI on a Automatic" In 4.6 General Discussion
well, its not the 3rd gear/sycnros thats for sure. The tranny was shifting fine after the motor went.

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
It was always my understanding that going FI with the stock Auto tranny was risky for a number of reasons. I never had the reason to look into it (I'm a 3 pedal man) but wasn't one of the reasons something to do with the way the tranny dumps the vacuum to momentarily reduce motor power during shifting? I wonder if the change in motor momentum during that shift at 6k, into a tall gear, was a stretch too far.

Of course, full boost in top gear (OD) is usually a no-no anyway, the forces in play on the rotating assembly are incredible in that scenario. I never WOT in 5th - ever.
That might very well be it. I'd be willing to also say that the way the 4.10s react also might have something to do with it. These are way different than the 3.31s I had stock, and would climb the tach violently at WOT from a low roll all the way up to final gear. I highly doubt whatever happened the other night would happen if I had 3.31s or 3.73s...
Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
These are way different than the 3.31s I had stock, and would climb the tach violently at WOT from a low roll all the way up to final gear. I highly doubt whatever happened the other night would happen if I had 3.31s or 3.73s...
I really think it's a tuning issue.

And I'm NOT blaming the tuner either.

As mentioned earlier, the tranny has some weird effects on the PCM when shifting. Not to mention the tranny has to build line pressure almost immediately when you have O/D locked out and then let it shift.

You might have also bounced off the REV Limiter ontop of being at full boost and trying to shift. Way too many variables at work here. You should check with Brenspeed and make sure they know what happened. There might be some variable they could adjust at WOT for autos.

Besides, maybe they could give a few a hundred off that B302 block

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto/S197+ boost, beware...