Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

To Tune, or not to tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

I don't pretend to know how strapped for cash you are, but perhaps just buying an SCT tuner is the best way to go -- if bought from a reputable speedshop (e.g. Brenspeed, American Muscle) it will come with the custom tune(s) you need for your current modifications. When it arrives, reinstall the stock tune back with the Diablo and then install the SCT custom tune. Then, sell the Diablo and recoup some of the money.

If you try and go with the Diablo, you'll be paying for the custom tune to fix your current issues. Plus you will need to buy a cable to download the tune to the tuner, since Diablos didn't come with them . . . unless the guy who sold you the car already bought one.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
jdemott

I called Diablo and they said if I update my tuner, there is now a tune for the 80mm MAF. The steps are:
1. Reinstall the original tune
2. Update the Tuner
3. Install the custom Tune

Can anyone verify this is all I need to do?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:43 PM
jdemott

Well as for the power cord and serial cable (so lame it doesn't come with either) I happen to have those around (lots of computers around the house), and they fit I believe.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdemott
I called Diablo and they said if I update my tuner, there is now a tune for the 80mm MAF. The steps are:
2. Update the Tuner

That should be it. The important part is to be sure to install the stock tune back into the car first. Otherwise, when you update the tuner, the stock tune will be lost.

After putting the stock tune into the car, you may have to update the firmware on the tuner, if there is an update available. Then install the updated tune onto the tuner and you'll be set to install on the car.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've heard good things about Brookspeed. Call them. The Diablo tunes (from Diablo) suk.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:14 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdemott
2. Update the Tuner

In general terms, yes.
However, after reinstalling the factory stock tune into your car's computer, suggest that you go to the following Diablosport webpage, and follow the "Revision Update Instructions" at the bottom of the page(Note- The required DSDownloader utility, serial-to-USB cable driver, and Predator Update are also on this same page):
http://www.diablosport.com/index.php...1#instructions

Agree with others that a custom tune from Brookspeed is better, if you have the coin for it.

Last edited by ski; 05-18-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:51 PM
jdemott

So, I put the original tune back on the car and updated the Diablo. My question is will the 80mm MAF tune that was used still be on the Diablo or do I need to get it from somewhere? Also, does anyone have the contact info for Brookspeed?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 PM
jdemott

Oh, ok, so with the new firmware installed, I see there are built in tunes to choose from when you go to install a "performance tune". It doesn't really tell you which to choose, but the "91 octane WMS 80mm kit" must be the one I want (since I have a WMS 80mm). There's also a generic 93 octane, which would make more sense to buy premium wouldn't it? You can't even get 91 at the station closest to me (89 or 93). Anyway, I installed the KIT tune and right after filling up the engine light was back on. I was wonder if maybe it was something else (like that gas cap?), so I cleared it again, but now it's back on, so must be something else I guess. Would probably be a good idea to get a custom tune like many of you suggested. I emailed brookspeed, but no response yet. Do you think I should also have a mechanic look at it to see if maybe it's the o2 sensors or something else, non-tune related? Thx much!! So fun playing with this stuff.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 AM
jdemott

So if brookspeed isn't pinging me back, does anyone have a personal contact for Doug or an idea on another custom tuning place?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Dont use the tune that came with the Diablo.
It is absolute crap.
Call American Muscle and ask for Doug.
Google Brookspeed to try to get ahold of them.

If you can't get either I would put my money into a new SCT tuner.
You get three free tunes to go with them. (From the places that sell them, they are not SCT tunes but custom quality tunes that are loaded onto the tuner by the shop a.k.a. Brenspeed or wherever.)

Again as far as the tune that came with the Diablo you have now... SCREW that thing. GET a tune from one of these places.

Doug at American Muscle
Brookspeed
Brenspeed

If you have to get a new tuner so be it.
Dont use the second rate tunes that are crap and that are just gonna end up causing you heartache in the end.
Do it right the first time. You DO NOT want to mess up your new car. Look at it as both getting the most out of your investment, and protecting your investment.

Quick Reply: To Tune, or not to tune