Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

detroit rockers in, od light blinking, tune not right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Hadwood I was planning on purchasing hotrods then the detroit rockers came out. So I waited long enough for the dyno results and then just went for it. I had to have em!! I based my decision on brenspeeds reputation, dedication to quality and customer service. With hotrods you can numerous tuners to tune them, but right now the rockers are only tuned by bren. That will change very soon. If you can wait I would. See whats happening out there. Either way I think you will be happy.

Now with the brake surge. Even with the new tune it still wants to surge forward some when coming to a slow complete stop and I was told by several people this is common with cammed auto trans cars. I am not worried about it at all. Everything else about these cams is just awesome. The idle is simply fantastic now, in park, neutral, or coasting in drive. I feel no low end power loss. Top end gains? I dont know yet I havent been able to really get on it. I will be racing on Saturday, so then I will know. Overall sotp, the car really feels more powerful.

I thought long tubes increased the sound volume and they did, but damn these cams are loud too!!! I cant hide that tone from the cops when they are close by!! Dark tint, no front plate, loud *** **** car......I'm asking for trouble! LOL

patrick
Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I am very interested in seeing what times you run as well. I haven't ran my Vortech non-intercooled but I am guessing mid-high 12s. Would be a very close race between our cars on the track imo. Even if you are NA, I can imagine your GT having a very strong power band..
Old 05-26-2010, 02:50 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Stealth your hotrod would kick my ***. LOL..... I have yet to purchase drag radials so I am not expecting much more than a couple of tenths and maybe cracking into the 12's. Dont get me wrong breaking that barrier would be awesome but I really need to stop being a tightass to get some tires.

This weekend is our biggest race of the year. Unfortinatly qualifiying starts at 2 in the afternoon. Its gonna be hot and the track will be slippery. Not the best conditions to get a Pb....

It would be fun to race though. I am the only s197 at my track. Lots of older stangs. Maybe I can race the new camaro guy.....would be fun to beat him!! haha

patrick
Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Stealth your hotrod would kick my ***. LOL..... I have yet to purchase drag radials so I am not expecting much more than a couple of tenths and maybe cracking into the 12's. Dont get me wrong breaking that barrier would be awesome but I really need to stop being a tightass to get some tires.

This weekend is our biggest race of the year. Unfortinatly qualifiying starts at 2 in the afternoon. Its gonna be hot and the track will be slippery. Not the best conditions to get a Pb....

It would be fun to race though. I am the only s197 at my track. Lots of older stangs. Maybe I can race the new camaro guy.....would be fun to beat him!! haha

patrick
sounds like its gonna be a blast.

I still haven't gone to the track and too paranoid about blowing my motor again lol
Once I get her up and running, I'll still be running the blower but most likely just putting around, not really speeding much less racing. I might go to the track at the end of the season though or next month.

lol the Vortech is quick indeed... but your car on DRs would give me a run for the money I am willing to bet.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I hate being worried about something blowing up and costing big bucks. One of the reasons I went with my N/A approach. Also, I had to have traction on the street. With a blower I imagine your losing traction quite often if you get on it. My vipertruck is like that. Tires blow off in the first three gears. I also stopped racing my truck after I blew out the entire clutch system at a cost of $2k!! That took the fun out of it real fast. I understand your desire not to race.

patrick
Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. ah, who am I kidding.. I'll be at the track next week.

Looking back, I was pretty dumb to push the motor/tranny in the fashion I did.

120 is plenty fast!

edit:
the kick down on is downright violent from a low roll/DIG.. the whole rear end kicks out and goes wide ways with the 4.10s/vortech! from about 40-45 it's a little bit better.. I'll try to post vids when I get a chance.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 05-27-2010 at 10:48 AM.