Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

My 2010 GT Project!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

FWIW I'm not sure most kits will fit the 10. The car is all the same underneath, but the different sheet metal on the car means the lines and mount points are different. I know for a fact the Roush kit is completely different. Teh brackets for mounting the intercooler had to be changed because of the new front bumper and on the Roush kit they changed the way the intake is designed, it now routes directly to teh airbox rather than going out the pass side and coming across. I'm not sure if that is due to the hood design or what. At any rate, if you want FI I wouldn't but a kit for any other year than the 10 unless you call the mfg and verify it will fit the 10.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Ronn
1st Gear Member

did you install your rousch kit yourself?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Hamhole
1st Gear Member

I slapped an Edelbrock E-force supercharger on my 2010 GT and have been very happy with it. The kit itself cost $7,500. uses 5 PSI of boost and is rated at 466 FWHP/439 TQ. And it looks sweet, too. Also available is an Edelbrock tower strut brace that fits over it nicely.

The street legal kit replaces the throttle body completely as well as the fuel injectors. It relocates the alternator and some other minor stuff and is simply bolt-on.

I got it with the 5-year warranty as well.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...chargers.shtml
Old 07-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Hamhole
1st Gear Member

Oh, and this struck me...

Removing the GT emblems from both sides, and the rear faux gas cap and installing a blackout across the back of the trunk
Behind that GT emblem is a dime-sized hole in your car body (used for badge alignment). Be prepared to fill and paint that over.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

fly wheel horsepower? i thought the kit made a bit more than that :/ thats only a little bit more than the M90....
Old 08-02-2010, 04:21 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
fly wheel horsepower? i thought the kit made a bit more than that :/ thats only a little bit more than the M90....
You are correct, and the main difference between the two is efficiency. They are both roots style, but the Edelbrock uses TVS rotors which are WAY more efficient than a typical roots rotor, which is what you get in the M90. The result is about 15-20 more RWHP for the same amount of boost. When you consider that you are limited to the amount of power the rods can handle in these engines, efficiency is a big deal as long as you are trying to get the maximum "safe" power. If you bump the Edelbrock up to 9ish psi, you can hit around 450 rwhp, whereas you have to go over 10 psi on the M90 to reach that. At 10psi, most would agree you are living on borrowed time. Furthermore, 10psi is about the limit of the M90 where you can get more from the Edelbrock (although not much more). It is never good to push a supercharger to the most extreme limit.

However, $3000 is a lot to pay for a few more horses and some improved efficiency. All depends on your goals and needs.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
You are correct, and the main difference between the two is efficiency. They are both roots style, but the Edelbrock uses TVS rotors which are WAY more efficient than a typical roots rotor, which is what you get in the M90. The result is about 15-20 more RWHP for the same amount of boost. When you consider that you are limited to the amount of power the rods can handle in these engines, efficiency is a big deal as long as you are trying to get the maximum "safe" power. If you bump the Edelbrock up to 9ish psi, you can hit around 450 rwhp, whereas you have to go over 10 psi on the M90 to reach that. At 10psi, most would agree you are living on borrowed time. Furthermore, 10psi is about the limit of the M90 where you can get more from the Edelbrock (although not much more). It is never good to push a supercharger to the most extreme limit.

However, $3000 is a lot to pay for a few more horses and some improved efficiency. All depends on your goals and needs.

Actually the VMP kit is rated for 500hp at the crank for the m90. That kit should be good for around 440 or so whp at 8psi max (7 psi if the stock blower puts out the rated 5psi). that said, the only real benefit of the edelbrock compared to the M90 are lower IAT's. Again with that said, I'm not entirely convinced the M90 for the 10 cars has as big a problem with heat soak as older cars. The 10 gets a 50% larger intercooler which should help the heatsoak issue along with a shorter intake runner to the blower, which doesn't run right across the top of the motor like the older cars.

I would assume the less time the air spends in the hot engine bay the less it will heat up, ergo less heat soak. Take that re-routed intake path, the 50% larger intercooler, and the fact that the 10 has a cold air intake that gets air outside the engine bay and i have to think heatsoak will be much less prominent than in the 09 down M90 cars. i have yet to see someone run back to back qtr passes to see what the difference is though. I keep hoping to get to the track and do soem runs and it hasnt worked out yet.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Actually the VMP kit is rated for 500hp at the crank for the m90. That kit should be good for around 440 or so whp at 8psi max (7 psi if the stock blower puts out the rated 5psi). that said, the only real benefit of the edelbrock compared to the M90 are lower IAT's. Again with that said, I'm not entirely convinced the M90 for the 10 cars has as big a problem with heat soak as older cars. The 10 gets a 50% larger intercooler which should help the heatsoak issue along with a shorter intake runner to the blower, which doesn't run right across the top of the motor like the older cars.

I would assume the less time the air spends in the hot engine bay the less it will heat up, ergo less heat soak. Take that re-routed intake path, the 50% larger intercooler, and the fact that the 10 has a cold air intake that gets air outside the engine bay and i have to think heatsoak will be much less prominent than in the 09 down M90 cars. i have yet to see someone run back to back qtr passes to see what the difference is though. I keep hoping to get to the track and do soem runs and it hasnt worked out yet.
500 hp is about 425 at the wheels (figure 15% drivetrain loss). The edelbrock kit is rated at 466 bhp, or about 396 rwhp, which is almost exactly what everyone with the edelbrock basic kit gets. That is at 5 psi, which on a roots means about 4-6 psi depending on RPM. The edelbrock also has a more efficient throttle body, which is where the power gain comes from. Keep in mind, NOBODY dynos with the hood down under regular driving conditions, so IATs will seldom have any affect at all on the rated power, particularly considering when a manufacturer will rate it, they will rate it under the best circumstances possible.

Kenne Bell rates their 2.6l twin screw stage 1 at 501 rwhp. They got that under the most ideal circumstances and using an electric water pump (5-10 hp gain). I got 440 at 6300 rpm, and it was still making power, so at 6500 rpm it was probably close to 450 (at the wheels). Even at 440, using the standard 15% drivetrain loss that figures to 520 bhp at 6300 rpm on 91 octane fuel on an 80+ degree day at 4000 feet elevation (yes the dyno corrects for altitude). 450 is pretty standard for rwhp on a kenne bell on a stock 4.6 with the largest pulley at 8.5 psi. Add a stage 2 throttle body and you can expect another 15 rwhp. Even at 9psi (8-10 psi in reality), the edelbrock, which already has a better throttle body, will be pretty close to 465 rwhp (still quite a bit higher than 425rwhp of the VMP kit you mention). That tells me that the efficiency of the edelbrock supercharger itself is pretty close to that of a twin screw.

Bottom line is, the TVS roots style rotors, or even the twin screw design, is more efficient than an old roots style straight cut rotor. However, as I said, the M90 is super inexpensive in comparison, so the 30-40 rwhp potential difference at the extreme end (8-9psi) of each supercharger is probably not worth the extra $3000.

Oh, and BTW, the Kenne Bell kit is listed as 2005-2010, so there is no reason to believe it wouldn't fit on the 2010.