Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Fitting an Optima RedTop into 2007 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 AM
codeglia1

Default Fitting an Optima RedTop into 2007 GT

I've done a lot of research into which Optima RedTop battery is listed to fit my 2007 Mustang GT with 4.6 V8. After working with a local auto parts store, as well as with Optima, they've obtained an Optima RedTop battery known as a "Group 35". This one finally has the polarity of the top-posts in the right position, but my question has to do more with the overall height of the battery versus the stock Motorcraft battery. On the OEM Motorcraft battery, the corners are cut-out so that the tops of the posts are no taller than the top of the case of the overall battery. This is because there is not a lot of clearance between the positive post and the hood, when the hood is closed.

My concern lies with the fact that, while the overall case height of the Group 35 Optima is exactly as high as the overall height of the OEM battery... the Optima does NOT have the posts lowered down into the battery case, like the OEM battery does. Since they are simply on top of the case, the overall height of the posts are thereby raised almost an inch higher over stock... thereby moving both posts even closer to the metal hood. The concern is that if the positive post is that much closer (almost touching?) the underside of the hood, a potential for it to short to ground could cause an underhood fire.

What I need to know is... has anybody out there installed one of these Group 35 RedTop Optimas into their 2005-2008 Mustangs? If so, have you had any issues or concerns with how close those posts actually get to the hood?

Please share your experiences... Thanks!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:27 AM
yzf29
1st Gear Member

I have one. I had the same concern when I brought it home. But it doesn't touch the hood in anyway. I also zip tied the positive terminal cover/ rubber boot so it would not shift out of the way for "good measure". I seem to recall doing an eyeball measure of the top posts to the top of the firewall to guestimate if there was enough clearance to the hood, and apparently I was duly convinced I was good to go> hood has been open and closed a million times- never an issue. Good luck- they are great batteries.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:56 PM
codeglia1

Good to hear; thanks for sharing your own experience! I had searched all over these forums to see if anyone else had the same concern, and couldn't find a word on the height issue, which was surprising... since it's so darn close as to make me very uncomfortable. (Seems to me that Ford was also not comfortable with it, since they bothered to design a battery for it that had countersunk terminals).

I'm going to play with it again today, and give it a try. Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Good luck with your install. I had a heck of a time getting an Optima in a 2000 GT a few years ago. I'm not sure why so many people are so captivated by Optima batteries. You'd think they added 50 HP or something. I guess they're a good battery, but given the difficulty in getting them to fit, and the cost - I don't see it. There are many other really good batteries, such as the Interstate MegaTron 40R that fit perfectly and have great reliability records. Just my $.02.