Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Short Throw Shifters. HONESTY folks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

No you don't need it, but it's helpful with any shifter you get. You can either do the CHE brace with limiters or I just did Prothane motor mounts and that helps prevent the torquing of the engine & trans.

All you're trying to do is prevent the trans from rotating and causing a missed shift. I prefer doing the motor mounts, but it's just a personal preference.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Hrm... motor mounts might mess with how my cams shake the car.
And I think they shake it perfect right now lol.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

I have modified mustangs since I was in High School..............Im 52 years old. I have had just about all the after market shifters. By far the Cadillac of ALL shifters is MGW !
Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I'm not a big pusher of the limiters. It's not that I'm not a fan of them, I just don't think they are the best thing in the world. I have the prothane mounts which keep the motor from moving around and I haven't had shifting issues unless the clutch was really hot.

I do have a Mcleod RST and a PRO5.0 shifter (really like it). I have missed shifts before.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I'm not a big pusher of the limiters. It's not that I'm not a fan of them, I just don't think they are the best thing in the world. I have the prothane mounts which keep the motor from moving around and I haven't had shifting issues unless the clutch was really hot.

I do have a Mcleod RST and a PRO5.0 shifter (really like it). I have missed shifts before.
Prothanes here. Best shifting mod I did was putting TR-6060 in.

Simon, when's the roll cage going in? Congrats on the new time.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mayberry40
I have modified mustangs since I was in High School..............Im 52 years old. I have had just about all the after market shifters. By far the Cadillac of ALL shifters is MGW !
+1...
Old 08-31-2010, 05:46 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I got my Steeda for a great price at the time. Not sure how much they go for now. Although, it would be nice if it had the classic appearance like the Hurst. (They do offer an exposed shift arm now but not sure how it all works with the boot.)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Prothanes here. Best shifting mod I did was putting TR-6060 in.

Simon, when's the roll cage going in? Congrats on the new time.
Don't know. I have Elk season coming up and I have to pay for my mount from the Bull I killed last year. That's about 3k total with this year's hunting included and I think I will have about 4k in my slush fund which leaves me 1k left over. Don't know what I will do. I will probably put it in myself, get some really good swing outs and nicely dress the roll bar with some good pads instead of painting it. Then some nice 4 or 5 point harnesses. Crap this ****s expensive.

I'm really not looking forward to putting a cage in it. I will probably not do it for as long as possible.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Hrm.
I went to speak with a guy I know at the dealership.
He is a personal friend.
When I spoke with him he was all about the MGW.
When I mentioned the K member brace and torque limiters or the
motor mounts he thought I was crazy and said it had nothing to do with the shifter and was not needed at all.

He said he had put about 6 different shifters in including Hursts and MGW's and none of them had those things installed along with them.

The shifters actually cause the motor to move?
I have cams so if they do this WOULD be needed right?
All this for a shifter change.... would get expensive.

250 shifter
80 for install
175 for the k brace and trq limiters.

If I did motor mounts instead of the other option those SOB's are like 500 bucks are'nt they?

And what exactly do the trq limiters do?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

the problem is the shifter bolts to the body and the linkage goes to the transmission. Under load the motor and transmission turn a little as the body flexes it throws the angle off where the shifter is pushing into gear.

The K member brace ties the k member and there fore the body, in with the drivetrain, eliminating the warping and helping with missed shifts. Dollar for Dollar this was one of the best mods I have done to my car. If you get this, its REALLY easy to install and makes the whole car just feel more connected, like feel the direct response throttle and breaking has on the body.

The motor mounts are like 200 IIRC and are easy to install yourself, however if you bring them somewhere they will charge a lot becuase it sounds like a big change.

I have a hurst billet Shifter, I like how short it is and the notchy-ness of it. To me it feals like a shifter should, but to some it is too notchy. i just like having that really positive engagement feel. The Ford racing one is a good choice for staying cheap, getting a little shorter, but not overly notchy. The MGW is the most expensive, but it shifts like butter and is really short. So really depends on your budget and how you want it to feel.

dont know where you were looking but the K- member is a little cheaper:
http://www.brenspeed.com/che7la.html

Also, dont pay to install a shifter man, there very easy, even with limited experience.

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-01-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifters. HONESTY folks!