Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ported Heads, new heads, or FRRP intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Dam. No way in hell I want to lose that much trq.
I really dont wanna go F.I.

I guess I should go with the intake and then what else to
move the hp up?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I don't like posting too many links to other forums, but over at Allfordmustangs.com they have a few members claiming 400+whp with the FRPP top end kit. ONe of them went all out with a built motor making 439whp (7400 rpm)with all the fixings.

Of course, by that point it costed a ton of money and you could get that with a blower.

It would be nice to have all that power without the excess weight and other stuff mounted on the front of the motor (supercharger, intercooler, plumbing, coolant etc.)
Old 10-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Thanks for sharing that info. It's an eye opener.
Bruce, I don't think it's quite apples to apples when you are talking an NA car versus an FI car with a built motor.

If you or I could do heads, cams and LTs at the same time it could be worth 60-100 hp depending on how wild you get.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Id really like raise the trq up but dunno if there is anything out there
besides the things I have mentioned that raises both.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-18-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:49 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

i think fast fords magazine did a comparison of the ford intake and all the added hp came from the top of the rpm range. unfortunately i dont remember is there any lost down low. Im guessing there is
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Stroking the motor and raising the compression ratio will gain you both HP and Torque across the board. HP won't go up tremenously and the torque curve will be much flatter (and higher), but nothing like a positive displacement blower. Bolt on mods for N/A cars are going to focus on the top end and the low end will suffer. That's just the way it is.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

why are you dicking around with all these little mods for 10-20whp at most when you can bolt on a V3 non-intercooled and gain 150whp (93 octane gas)?

NA is cool and all but without a built motor with high compression and high flow heads with aggressive cams, its not worth it imo in terms of getting the most out of the stock motor...

just imo.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You know what they say.
If you want to get a SC it's best to make sure you have the cash for a new motor JUST in case.

I am enjoying adding a little bit at a time to the car and keeping it N/A.
Besides, there is a lot of difference in spending money when you CAN and commiting yourself to another payment if you were to get a loan for a SC.
And I don't have the cash to drop all that down at once.

As far as saving my money for a good while untill I got an SC or something....
again I enjoy adding little amounts here and there, and I can tell a difference in the way the car performs. And agian... I would have to have the backup cash or ability to purchace a new engine if something catastrophic happened BEFORE I felt comfortable with strapping a SC on it... regardless of how "safe" they are these days.

Call me paranoid but that's the way I operate.

Plus again DAMMIT! I just like doing N/A and taking it slow! It lets me enjoy
the acutall work. Throwing something on there and just being done with it takes all the journey out of the ride man in my opinion man!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I thought people were getting great results with comp stage 2 heads and cams.. I know i've seen some really impressive 1/4 mile numbers from people with those.. even if you lose a little down low when you are racing it you probably wont be much lower than 3-3.5k rpm right?

but yeah.. It will cost about as much as a blower. being in TX that wont be a problem for you.. I think it's neat to stay N/A and would do heads but the low air pressure up here means I have lower compression than you guys near sea level... I need more boost to make up for it... i can also run lower octane gas w/o detonation... (or i could advance the timing more)
Old 10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Well, its not real safe to assume that a full-on NA build putting down that much rwhp is going to be any safer than a blower doing the same thing. The stock internals are still going to be the weak point, regardless of how that power is ultimately getting there. Just MHO of course.

That said, NA builds are cool and all, but they do cost the same or more as FI... so you really just have to want to do it for it to make sense I think.

Quick Reply: Ported Heads, new heads, or FRRP intake?