Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

FRPP Power UpGrade Package Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KCSTEVE
Thanks for all the info guys!! I went with the FRPP stuff just to keep everything under warranty...
Your warranty is still intact with AM or Brenspeed tunes, a compatible CAI, ANY axleback... The only people that don't get warranty work are the ones that the service reps can tell are wearing panties and can be easily intimidated.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Your warranty is still intact with AM or Brenspeed tunes, a compatible CAI, ANY axleback... The only people that don't get warranty work are the ones that the service reps can tell are wearing panties and can be easily intimidated.

^^^^^^
This

Also, for future refrence, there is no such thing as a "voided warranty." If the part that you put on is specifcaly what causes the issue then they can deny service for that issue but thats it. So like if you go with some BBK long tubes and high flow X pipe, they cant deny service on your alternator. Some items become shady but that comes down to arguing with your dealer. For example if your gears went in your rear end, they might argue the extra power your putting to them, but they have to be able to prove that what you did specificaly caused this issue.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I wasn't aware of the burst pressure difference. Thanks, Bruce. Although I doubt that any but the more serious track folk would benefit.
Funny thing about oil filters. I was perfectly happy running Fram for a good part of my life until I saw pictures of the insides on the internet. If I hadn't seen those pics I'd still be buying them and I'll bet my motors wouldn't know the difference. Now that I'm no longer ignorant (on oil filters anyway) I buy Motorcraft or Purolator. I bought a case of the frpp filters to get free shipping on a block (it was like getting the oil filters for free) and have to say they are stout, the difference between them and the motorcraft filter is noticeable. I think I'll cut an old one open this weekend and post the pics in the oil section.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KCSTEVE
Thanks for all the info guys!! I went with the FRPP stuff just to keep everything under warranty initially. I like the deep/mild sound of the FRPP mufflers but may eventually go to Magnaflow to get the straight through exhaust flow and a little more sound. I have one on another vehicle and really like the Magnaflow sound on it.

I believe I do have the card in the back of the FRPP handheld tuner, but I am leaning toward getting a SCT tuner with the Bama tunes. I was wondering if I just go with the 91 Octane race tune is there a need for a custom tune??

I would also like to add the FRPP Hi-Rise intake but I called the 800 number and they told me that it will not fit under my Shelby tower strut brace, and I would really like to keep it. Looks great in the engine bay and keep the vehicle steering tight too.

Anyone tried the Hi-Rise intake yet??
That's probably your best bet. About the intake. Do a google search on black lung frpp intake.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

Sorry Nuke but a dealer can Void your Warranty I seen it many times. There is a catch although. Most dealers will want to fix your car before doing this but if they open your engine up and find that you didn't change your oil for over 30K miles then hell ya they will void it. The other thing is mods them self are not covered by warranty so the dealer don't care if they are broken or not as you will pay to have them worked on if that's the issue.

Back to the tread now, I also do have that ford power package install on my car its nice that everything drops right in the first time no cutting no endless missing parts. The tune it self works with a nice flat power curve unlike some of those tune shops but of course the tune shop can have more options to you but you have know what you want it to do.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jackal119
Sorry Nuke but a dealer can Void your Warranty I seen it many times. .

How does it feel living your life with wool over your eyes?

Sorry couldn't resist that one, but seriously, go look up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. If you still have problems, contact SEMA.

Clearly if you don't change your oil for 30k miles and the engine blows, they can choose to not cover that as it falls under abuse / neglect, but if you neglect to change your oil for 30k miles and your transmission goes, your warranty is not "void." There is no such thing as a "void" warranty, there are only protections for the dealer against obvious things such as abuse, neglect, or the part you use, clearly causing the specific issue you are in for.

For example with my car, if anything broke in my drive train, I would not expect the dealer to cover it. However when my transmission began clunking going into 2nd and 3rd, they serviced it under the TSB for that problem, as my mods did not cause that specific issue. By the same token, if my power steering pump or AC condenser began acting up, I would not let them get away with saying, well its attached to the motor so the warranty is void.

If your ignorant of the law they will walk all over you. You seem to think they want to fix you under warranty, let me tell you how it really works. In the price of a car there is a assumed value for how much warranty work will be performed. kinda like a "service contract." There making more money the farther below that value they are. Over that value, and the company is loosing profits. You better believe Ford monitors that, and there is a certain amount of warranty work they are supposed to stay in. If there getting near there limit, they start looking for ways to turn you away or postpone so they can have that count against the next quarter.

Originally Posted by jackal119
Back to the tread now, I also do have that ford power package install on my car its nice that everything drops right in the first time no cutting no endless missing parts. The tune it self works with a nice flat power curve unlike some of those tune shops but of course the tune shop can have more options to you but you have know what you want it to do.
and this seems like you seriously got sold up on the quality of there products, and they were able to scare you away from the aftermarket. Look at my mod list. My mom has a 09 Bullitt with about as many mods. Between the two of us, do you know how many missing parts we had? ZERO. Know how much cutting modding we had to do? ZERO. Know how many tune problems we have had between multiple shops and multiple tune revisions? ZERO. If you buy from preputable shops, you will make more power then the FRPP stuff, be just as secure, and your warranty will be in the same state. If they will allow warranty to stay with there aftermarket part, they CAN NOT LEGALY restict there warranty if a competor is making a similar part.

Last edited by JDWalton; 11-05-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

wow calm down man. I don't really care how you want to spend your money on your car but if you want to go aftermarket then go. I will only say that the FFRP parts do that they claim. Look I not going jump into this warranty game as its pretty much a case by case thing. Also there is no warranty on FFRP parts as well unless the dealer installs them and that takes out the fun of getting any kind of parts any.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
KCSTEVE

Thanks again for all the info. I do believe I will get the SCT Tuner from AM with the Bama tunes. Sure sounds like the way to go for more HP. Some of the other threads I have looked at mention the black soot on the muffler tips when they run the Race Tune indicating a too rich condition. If just figure if that happens i'll drop back to the normal 91 octane tune.

I did come across an interesting article on-line at www.musclemustangfastfords.com which showed the HP and TQ for the 4.6 3V with the FRPP throttle body and long tube headers for their baseline run. which was 359 HP and 352 TQ at the crank. I do not know what kind of tune they used (or just stock tune?) but I thought that was pretty good.

They also had several runs and added other improvements like the FRPP cams and FRPP Intake and FRPP heads for each run.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

hmm. black soot is usualy with rich conditions, however race tunes are normaly more lean as lean = power, at least untill it also = detonation....lol. The bigest thing, as I have run a bama race tune before, is what he does to the throttle response is amazing. It becomes a very fast relation between stepping on the gas and going, not as much drive by wire feel, but does take getting used to because it is so responsive, and by defualt you get used to the sluggish response that these cars come from the factory with. I think you will like it, but like I said, you need to get used to it.

@ Jackal: The first line was meant only as a joke, I know sarcasm is hard to detect over the net, didnt mean to offend you. As for the rest of it, just trying to get the info out there, as what you have been told and repeated on here is a very common misconception that continues to be pushed by dealers who refuse service on what should legaly be covered. i dont always use as much tact as I should in explinations but the goal is to edjucate and better prepare people to defend themself if any issue ever comes up. Hope it helps.

Last edited by JDWalton; 11-05-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:08 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

I only paid about $400 bucks for my power pack so I didn't think I could go wrong with it. I am betting it was stolen anyway.

Quick Reply: FRPP Power UpGrade Package Tuner