Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 main stud help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:19 AM
djmessick

Default 2005 main stud help!

Wanted to thank everyone on the help and advise so far!
I want to put new arp main bolts... Since I'm putting those in I wanted to do a windage tray as well... But no one seams to have one or ever heard of one for my year... I believe mine is a 2 bolt main.. It's the 4.6 3v... And I've had a lot of trouble I've been told to just use thr 04 cobra kits... Any one have any ideas where to go and if you have a part number? As always thanks again!
Daniel
Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Feeling dumb today, and have no idea what/why you'd want to change the main bolts or what a windage tray is...subscribed
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
djmessick

I'm running boost on my mustang, replacing the main bolts just makes it safer/stronger... And windage tray stays in the oil pan to keep the oil from being sucked up in the motor... Basicly keeps the oil where it needs to be...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Yeah can you give us a bit more information about your setup and why you're doing these things?

Brenspeed sells a windage tray clearanced for a 302 stroker motor that would work fine for a non-stroked 4.6.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by djmessick
Wanted to thank everyone on the help and advise so far!
I want to put new arp main bolts... Since I'm putting those in I wanted to do a windage tray as well... But no one seams to have one or ever heard of one for my year... I believe mine is a 2 bolt main.. It's the 4.6 3v... And I've had a lot of trouble I've been told to just use thr 04 cobra kits... Any one have any ideas where to go and if you have a part number? As always thanks again!
Daniel
My suggestion is to speak with a shop that has experience with this.

Call the larger places like JDM, MMR, Blow By Racing, Livernois, ST Motorsports in San Bernardino, RET (Racers Edge Tuning).

These people have all built very high HP S197s and have dealt with oiling issues. Most have replaced the pan with something that has a better windage tray.

The 03/04 Cobra Blocks take the same oil pan. Not sure about the pick up But I imagine it's the same.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I'm running boost on my mustang, replacing the main bolts just makes it safer/stronger... And windage tray stays in the oil pan to keep the oil from being sucked up in the motor... Basicly keeps the oil where it needs to be...
If you are running on the stock block you would be wasting your money on anything else than just the torque to yield bolts that the block comes with. Those are not going to fail at that power level or cause any issue. Most of the aftermarket short blocks come with TTY fasteners. The weak link in the 3 vlaves is the pistons and rods. You would be better off replacing the rotating assembly and then at the same time use ARP fasteners.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
If you are running on the stock block you would be wasting your money on anything else than just the torque to yield bolts that the block comes with. Those are not going to fail at that power level or cause any issue. Most of the aftermarket short blocks come with TTY fasteners. The weak link in the 3 vlaves is the pistons and rods. You would be better off replacing the rotating assembly and then at the same time use ARP fasteners.

+1. If the motor fails, it wont be a result of the main bolts.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

dj...obviously these guys kow ALOT more than me, but thanks for explaining...I appreciate it.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 PM
djmessick

I took it to a performance shop here in town... And I was loosing coolant... What's happening is my bolts are stretching at my max boost and cause boost to leak to my cooling system... Was told this was the best way to fix it... And thanks for all the advise
Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I took it to a performance shop here in town... And I was loosing coolant... What's happening is my bolts are stretching at my max boost and cause boost to leak to my cooling system... Was told this was the best way to fix it... And thanks for all the advise

Are you talking about head bolts?

Quick Reply: 2005 main stud help!