Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM
BStock9

Default Supercharger???

I've got a 2006 GT mustang with exhaust and CAI... Looking at possibility putting a supercharger on it...This car is a everyday driver and it has to stay that way... is this a safe upgrade for the motor and surrounding parts under the hood???
Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the board! And yes, it is safe to do so so long as you do not run boosts to high into the teens.

If you stay under 9PSI boost manifold, you should be okay. Some guys have even gone to 11 PSI manifold on 11:1 compression ratio on non-forged pistons and non-forged rods (the fake "forged" rod) and have not blown up their engines.

What I mean by fake "forged" rods is what Ford calls powdered forged rods. Powdered metal forged rods are NOT true forged rods. And they are still inferior to true forged rods, even though the powdered rods are still a step above cast rods.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
BStock9

I know that all shops are different but what a round about price to get something like this done...(just installation) because honestly thats the figure that scares me!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Oh, that's a tough one. You will have to call around and ask, becuase what it might cost me in Texas to have in done, will cost differently for you in Il.
And I would hazard to say that it might be cheaper for your area than it would for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, vortech it !
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Larry Warcup
3rd Gear Member

Welcome BStock9 to MF from beautiful British Columbia, Canada!

I have a KENNE BELL Intercooled SC on my '03 mach1...and believe me,
I'd love to drive this thing every day of the week to work, and back.

Unfortunately, the weather here in the Pacific Northwest prevents me
from that prospect.
Cleaning this black car over and over and over, would just be crazy

Hope your search nets you the results you're lookin' for. This site is a great
place to start, that's for sure

Larry
Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BStock9
I know that all shops are different but what a round about price to get something like this done...(just installation) because honestly thats the figure that scares me!!!
Most of the S197 supercharger kits can be installed by anyone willing to take their time, read the manual and do it right. You'll find that about half the members of this board who have F/I did the install themselves, and for many it was their first experience turning a wrench. As far as safety goes, you can safely run a supercharger on a daily driven S197. Get it tuned right, don't drive like a maniac every time you get in the car and keep up with the maintenance. The car will last as long as you want it to. Most people would advise you to keep it under 10psi on stock internals, but my internals are fine on 12psi, so each person's car is different.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Research forced induction before looking at particular brands. Almost all posters have only had one type of FI on their S197, and that is the one that will be highly recommended to you.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Research forced induction before looking at particular brands. Almost all posters have only had one type of FI on their S197, and that is the one that will be highly recommended to you.
^This. I happen to have a Whipple on mine. I love it and would recommend it to anyone, but there are plenty of great kits on the market. My first mustang was procharged and it was a great kit as well. I've worked on turbo, centri, roots and twin screwed cars and can tell you that depending on what you want out of your car, any of them would be a great choice. Research, research and research some more. If you're lucky, you'll be one of the rare stangers who gets exactly what he wants on the first try.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I love the FRPP Whipple kits but if you're looking for something safe, reliable and easy to install Edelbrock E-Force is the way to go, and is upgradeable if later in the future you decide increase power.

Quick Reply: Supercharger???