Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New owner 05 GT X/Y Pipe Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Zrxpilot

Default New owner 05 GT X/Y Pipe Install

Just got my car home last night. Crawled under there and it looks like it has a crossover tube (a factory H pipe??) downstream of the cats that is installed with these clamps made from like 4" wide strips. Dont know what you call them but I think you get it.

Anyways, have whatever cans came from Roush. They sound nice but looking for something with just a bit more growl. Thinking an aftermarket H/X pipe but dont know the pros/cons to either. Sounds like 304 stainless is one thing to look for.

Sure looks like an easy swap provided the aftermarket component is the same dimension. Is it as easy as it looks? IE jack up the car, unbolt these four clamps and it falls into your lap?

Using the search for this yielded so many widespread responses I got tired of reading them. Looking for some fresh opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zrxpilot
Just got my car home last night. Crawled under there and it looks like it has a crossover tube (a factory H pipe??) downstream of the cats that is installed with these clamps made from like 4" wide strips. Dont know what you call them but I think you get it.

Anyways, have whatever cans came from Roush. They sound nice but looking for something with just a bit more growl. Thinking an aftermarket H/X pipe but dont know the pros/cons to either. Sounds like 304 stainless is one thing to look for.

Sure looks like an easy swap provided the aftermarket component is the same dimension. Is it as easy as it looks? IE jack up the car, unbolt these four clamps and it falls into your lap?

Using the search for this yielded so many widespread responses I got tired of reading them. Looking for some fresh opinions.

Thanks in advance.
The mid pipe is connected by ther following:

2 bolts on each side of the motor connected to the exhaust manifold.

4 O2 sensors that will need to be either unplugged from the wiring harness or unscrewed from the mid pipe.

2.5" exhaust clamps, connecting the mid pipe the third piece of the exhaust.

Helpfull hints. Disconnect and remove the battery. This gives you more room on the passenger side. It also prevents you from touching a metal tool to the starter pwer line causing some sparks.

Loosen the rear clamps first. But leave the pipes hanging on.

You may be able to spin the bolts of the exhaust manifold with an impact wrench. If you don't have an impact wrench, you will need a wrench on each side of the bolt.

Other than that, the worse thing about working on this piece is the tight quarters underneath. Get he car 18-24" above the ground on jackstands.

Make sure you tighten the bolts connecting the the midpipe to the exhaust manifold really good.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Zrxpilot

^ Very descriptive post. Thank you. Did some more digging. I do in fact have a stock exhaust. From what I gather from your post, the OR H you detailed is a catless type. Changes out everything from the manifolds to the joint downstream of the stock H deleting the cats in the process.

The front O2 censors would then not be used? This would then require simulators to disable the check engine light. Or is there a bung on the new pipe that new o2's attach?

This mod then would require a tune to get the most out of it. To mod it you need a tuner (which I dont have). Expectedly it would run like **** without it.

As I understand a tuner....it is like a power commander for tuning a late model motorcycle after you have radically changed the exhaust. Have them on both my Harley and my R-1. The power commander itself does not do anything for you by itself. It must either have a canned flash for your mods or you have it tuned on the dyno by running a few runs in search of the curve you are looking for.

Is all this correct?

Last edited by Zrxpilot; 02-13-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

YOu will still keep all of you r O2 sensors. The midpipe will come with holes for them.

All off road pipes are catless.

You will most likely need a tune. So that means a tuner (SCT/DIABLO) and a tune from one of the internet places would suffice.