Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Aftermarket shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Powered by Ford

Originally Posted by OhEightGT
Welcome! I cannot speak to experiences with any shifters but Hurst, as my car had Hurst already when I bought it. I drove a few GT's when I was shopping, and I can say from experience that the Hurst shifter is much improved from stock in some ways, but is a little bit "inferior" if you're too picky. Firstly, even when I bought the car and was not used to it - I have never missed one shift. It goes in sequence SO easily it's surprising. Almost as if it naturally wants to go "1,2,3,4,5" you just have to tell it when. The throws are much shorter (well, I should say noticeably shorter at least) than factory. The downside, is the amount of noise the thing makes. It is terribly "clunky" and noisy, and tends to vibrate and rattle a lot going down the road. Holding your hand over it eliminates this though. But I have read this is the norm, and that people who "improve" them during install, do not have this problem. I did not install mine, but I am thinking of taking it out and doing the "silencing" modifications to it myself.

All in all I have no doubt if all that was done when the original owner installed it, this would be a great shifter and not nearly as clunky and noisy. It is a blast to drive. But you might look into MGW shifters as well. They seem pricey but the word around here is they are definitely worth it.
Which Hurst version do you have? The billet one is much more the MGW standard. Also installing the CHE K-member brace with torque limiters reduces a lot of the vibration.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM
mds1000

I have a B&M short throw and I hate it. It has decent shifts but it makes so much noise, I can't live with it! I had it in for about 2 weeks but it is coming out shortly. I'm going back to the original shifter.

My mechanic tells me all aftermarket short throws will make noise so I am going back to stock.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

MGW is AWESOME.

They are not only totally adjustable (much more than other brands), but they have a WIDE amount of choice when it comes to how short you want the throw to go.
They also are quiet, and strong and stay in place. They don't shake like many others do.
When I say totally adjustable I mean totally. You can even adjust the height of the shifter. There is not a shifter out there that
is as adjustable as the MGW as far as I know.

I LOVED the MGW we had in the 06GT.
It was everything you could ask for in a shifter.

I have a buddy with a HURST, one with a B&M, and one with a STEEDA.
Myself and EVERY single one of them agree that the MGW is bar none the best without a doubt.

I AM NOT a person that pushes brands or says one brand is the best on aftermarket items.
This however is an exception.

For shifters I have NO hesitation in saying MGW is the best without question.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Martinarcher64
2nd Gear Member

I love my MGW. I can't compare it to the other ones but I know it is 100x better than the stock one!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Mustangguy16

I have the Steeda one and I can't compare it to any other shifter because its the only one i have had. Its a great piece and they have a solid reputation for creating great products on behalf of Ford. You can't go wrong with an American company that makes American products for American cars!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Mustangguy16
I have the Steeda one and I can't compare it to any other shifter because its the only one i have had. Its a great piece and they have a solid reputation for creating great products on behalf of Ford. You can't go wrong with an American company that makes American products for American cars!
The Steeda is a great shifter no doubt.
However the MGW is still better by far in my experience as well as most people that have compared the two including my friend that owns a Steeda shifter.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

M G W
Old 08-17-2011, 02:18 PM
SoFL05GT
1st Gear Member

I use a Pro 5.0 shifter on my 08 Shelby GT with no missing 3rd gear. I had one on my 05 GT and loved it, so it was a no-brainer when I got my 08. Steeda Tri-ax is also great.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:45 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Callinectes
I've been looking at shifters from Steeda, Roush and my old standby from the 70's, Hurst. Can anyone with any experience with any of these give me any insight? I seem to be missing 3rd gear more than I would like, and it cannot POSSIBLY be me!
MGW and it will be over.

tigerhonaker

Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 AM
csmoore88

I don't know much about cars, but I know THIS car. At least, how it feels. I bought a used Hurst competition plus from Mf classified, and I love it. No one can believe how solid it is. Smooth short throws and a more comfortable drive. No more knuckle scraping on a/c ***** or reaching over coke cans in cup holder. It did vibrate at first but a touch of loctite, some dyna mat and ingenuity and it is a whisper now. Very adjustable, and forty years tried and true. Sure others are good, but I know nothing about them

Quick Reply: Aftermarket shifters?