Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Saleen Supercharger Necessities? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately I'm in Sacramento area about 7 hours from Fullerton.

I also have an SCT with BAMA Tunes for life so that was the way I was going to go but I heard the majority of people run Dyno tunes, I may do the Bama for now and dyno later. And yeah, the expenses are not going to be fun, it seems as though I'm looking at at least $600 in parts to get the main items of what I need. Getting the supercharger on my car before Thanksgiving is also my goal! Pretty cool, our Cali Stangs are gonna be sweet! We should definitely stay in contact about our progress.

PS: I actually have no girl in my life anymore because "I spend too much money on my car and not enough on her" hahaha so the Mustang gets full attention now! :P
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Default Saleen water pipe and tune & oil

Called Speedlab, and there was no problem obtaining the water pipe. I also got a reply from Brenspeed on the tune, and I'm really leaning towards them. They have done literally hundreds of these series VI tunes and have them dialed in to the nat's a$$. A dyno tune would be nice, but there will probably be nil to gain. I'm going to do the email custom route then do a datalog, and most likely do a couple of dyno pulls to verify a/f. If there are any issues Brenspeed can adjust the tune to suit. I have an auto / daily driver so I don't want to kill it running @ the ragged edge. One big deal with these blowers is the oil, they use a pint of 50,000 mile synthetic oil. They leak oil out of the snout vent when being shipped or tipped, and some snout sealers (blue) are more prone to seepage. You can buy the original Nye oil from Brenspeed, or use Motorcraft XL-4. I bought the Nye from Brenspeed. (it should be traded in the commodities market$$!) The other much less expensive choices are GM supercharger oil or even motor oil if you change it every 5,000 mi. The only problem is you have to remove the Supercharger to effectively drain it, so now would be the time. A dry gearbox gets real ugly. As long as the oil is good they tell me, the series VI is a dependable long life blower.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TylerT
I'm looking at at least $600 in parts to get the main items of what I need.
You're looking at a LOT more than that. If all you get is what's in the picture, then i'd stay away from it. It will probably cost the same if not more to piece everything you will need together and you'll be without a warranty.

*Edit* Just noticed you already bought it. Good luck with it bro. Hope it turns your car into a beast.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 10-01-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

How much would you guess that I'm looking at? As far as I can see it's fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, hoses, belts, pulley, and gauges. I've found a few Saleen wholesale items on eBay so that's where I may be buying from.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'd put a conservative estimate at least a couple thousand dollars. The first thing I'd do would be to get a copy of the installation instructions and parts list. It will give you a good idea of what your up against. Let us know how it turns out. Those saleen blowers are beastly.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

Wow that's a lot more than I expected, I was going of Stage 3 Motorsports where they were selling the head unit alone for about 1000 less than a complete kit so I was thinking it was going to be less than 1000 for the extras. Maybe I won't be getting this on until the spring....
Old 10-14-2011, 07:28 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I would expect you to spend around $2k-$2.5k in additional parts assuming you buy new... which I would definitely do.

Don't forget you'll probably want to upgrade the drive shaft as that will pop really quickly with 450rwhp...
Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Default Don't get discouraged!

Some pretty wild estimates here! There is no doubt that with a supercharger the sky is the limit, and you can spend that and more. However with some common sense, reasonable power levels, and bargain shopping, you will not have to spend anywhere near the estimates quoted here. You have about $800 in parts you must have from Saleen, everything else is negotiable. The two piece drive-shaft is used in the GT500 with much higher power levels than you can achieve on a stock lower end, so this isn't really necessary at this point. If you start out with the 435 hp configuration you can always upgrade the injectors and air system later. Heat exchangers and Bosch pumps go used all the time on ebay and the forums for cheap, buy new if you like, however for many items used is just fine. Since these kits go for over 5 large new, you have a long way to go before you are hurt, as long as your pump / rotors are in good shape you will be fine.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Thank you so much for your help! I would like to run a smaller pulley (my goal is about 8 lbs of boost) and I was going to change the injectors anyway just to be on the safe side. I'm definitely going to be looking up that install PDF because I'll be needing it anyway as plan on doing my own install.

Are you taking your's to a dyno shop to get it tuned or just running the tune from Saleen?

Thank you so much for the advice!
Will if you need a few things, I have the following still laying around I believe

3.8, 3.4, and 3.2 pulley
39lb injectors
Saleen Air box (also have a steeda CAI available also)
prothane solid motor mounts

Get a dyno shop tune from a VERY experienced tuner. Have any questions let me know, I have been running my Saleen SC for over 4yrs.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:38 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Unfortunately I'm in Sacramento area about 7 hours from Fullerton.

I also have an SCT with BAMA Tunes for life so that was the way I was going to go but I heard the majority of people run Dyno tunes, I may do the Bama for now and dyno later. And yeah, the expenses are not going to be fun, it seems as though I'm looking at at least $600 in parts to get the main items of what I need. Getting the supercharger on my car before Thanksgiving is also my goal! Pretty cool, our Cali Stangs are gonna be sweet! We should definitely stay in contact about our progress.

PS: I actually have no girl in my life anymore because "I spend too much money on my car and not enough on her" hahaha so the Mustang gets full attention now! :P
LOL! I am in Sac also! Take your car to AED in Cameron Park! They rock, my car is there right now. As for parts you will also need an intercooler pump, and heat exchanger. Get the AFCO dual pass HE the factory saleen HE sucks. You will also need a coolant res, I have one in the garage.

If you could have waited 6-8 months I would have gave you a great deal on my Saleen SC, it is coming off as soon as the 2.9 whipple for the 3V is ready.

Last edited by sactown; 10-20-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Saleen Supercharger Necessities? Help!